Anyone compared pellet heat vs natural gas in their home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rehabbingisgreen

Sep 29, 2010
Missouri
I'm trying to figure if I'd actually save more money going to natural gas. If we're burning 2 bags a day the cost is roughly 233 a month just for fuel. Natural gas is abt .21 a cubic foot. I know there are some comparison charts but is there one that I can punch in pricing and get estimates?

For me its propane @ about 1100.00 for the season VS. 600.00 for pellets. More work burning pellets, but for the savings i will stay with pellets as long as they remain reasonable! ;-)

Natural Gas is cheaper for me here. I use the pellets because I enjoy the relaxation feeling I get when its on, and of course the heat I get too. But cost wise it costs me less per month to run the furnace than it does to burn pellets. Plus the pellets will not heat the whole house, its just a space heater.

I can afford to stay warm with pellets.. I can't with ng. My gas bills were $350.00 per month in Jan and Feb ...pellets are$150-200.00...no comparison. And no longer freeze @ 65f...

rehabbingisgreen said:
I'm trying to figure if I'd actually save more money going to natural gas. If we're burning 2 bags a day the cost is roughly 233 a month just for fuel. Natural gas is abt .21 a cubic foot. I know there are some comparison charts but is there one that I can punch in pricing and get estimates?

Here's a chart you can try,just punch in the numbers

Good luck BobMac

http://www.seraph-industries.com/images/saving_caculator.xls

Thanks a bunch for the info and links, I'll be checking them out now.

This house has an old furnace but we've never fired it up and I'm not sure I want to. The basement has a good amount of water in it and the furnace may or may not have gotten wet and the gas lines don't look so hot so we plan to replace those anyway.

But what I am considering are two ventless gas heaters. One on each floor and keep the pellet stove. The ventless can be used with no power which would be nice on those days the power does go out and it will happen. Has already happened once this year but thankfully for a short time.

I have and its why I just installed a Harman PF100. I go through about 1300 gallons a year. remove the hot water and cooktop and it's about 900.

Propane - 1000 * 2.7 = 2700
Pellet - 5.5t * 1.68 = 924 - (HD & Lowes reduced to 187 then 10% off)
Extra Elec. combust motr. - 50 = 50
Savings $1,726.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.