Anyone else afraid they're going to run out of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope,still have a another 6 1/2 cord I'm good till July. :cheese:

tbl01 said:
I just had 2 cords of mostly red oak and some maple mixed in $160/cord delivered.
I burned thru 1 cord already and was down to about 3/4 of a cord. This oak seems to b urn hotter and lasts alot longer then my preivous firewood.

Im actually thingking of getting another two cord delivered. Nice stuff.
tbl01,I am spoiled on black locust.I think thats what the men in red suits down below use.

JBinKC said:
It is not that I can't get enough firewood, my problem is due to the lack of space where I am able to store firewood on my waterfront property (about 3 1/2 cords max). Last season, I was about a face cord short and had to rely upon a stash of some gnarly unsplit dried elm rounds from a relative who was moving and who gave up on them processing them.

If storage space is a problem, try stacking using the Holz Hausen way.

EatenByLimestone said:
If you run out, look for pallet guys. It's full of nails, but dry.

Use old chains on the saw.

Matt

pallets and skids will keep you warm in a pinch, I burned alot of them last year. Like the man say's , use a old chain and run your saw through them. easy deal!!

adrpga498 said:
JBinKC said:
It is not that I can't get enough firewood, my problem is due to the lack of space where I am able to store firewood on my waterfront property (about 3 1/2 cords max). Last season, I was about a face cord short and had to rely upon a stash of some gnarly unsplit dried elm rounds from a relative who was moving and who gave up on them processing them.

If storage space is a problem, try stacking using the Holz Hausen way.

Unfortunately, I don't even have enough space for a holz hausen with my layout, as I don't even need a lawn mower. I store most of it under my eaves of my house on the deck on metal racks and the rest along my deck and property fence lines in the flat areas only. The front yard (10x50 ft) is a square foot garden with dwarf fruit trees on the periphery and the rest of my property is on a 150ft rock cliff at a average 85 degree grade with a 192 step stairway down to my dock.

Am not too concerned this year, although I worry about it anyway! Last winter, our first full season of burning, we were really down to the dregs, although we never actually ran out. We were lucky last year that a Girl Scout camp gave us some logs that had been cut down and stacked many years ago and just needed cutting and a little splitting. Then we had some really dry standing dead apple wood that saved us in the spring.

This year we have a couple cords of 'wood for next year' that we could burn in a pinch in April and May. For seasoned wood we have about 4 cords ready to burn, plus 2 cords that have been cut to length for a long time, but still need splitting. Was splitting some today, all the snow makes it a bit messy, and the wood keeps slipping around. We still have more dead apple wood we can cut up that can be burned this year.

We got 3 pickup loads of wood cut by the county mid-November less than 2 miles from our house. AFter asking if we could have the wood I was explaining to the lady which house I lived in. She said, oh, you're the ones with the huge wood piles. ;-) More than my concern about running out of wood, I worry that somebody will come and steal my wood piles! There is so much work in an all scrounged wood pile.

Its nice to have extra piles around, and to have nice skids like these around when in a pinch. All Oak, all day long.

Attachments

• HPIM0805.JPG
    HPIM0805.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 342
now those are good pallets, cant imagien burning them...they use some real hard exotic woods most of the time..

not bad at all.

oh i'm definatley worried.. had just under 2 cords and another on its way and man i have gone through alot more then i thought i would... have quite a bit of wood that i scored recently but that still needs to be cut and split... good thing is my oil heater hasen't run but twice this season and its been warm in here..:) i'm looking at this year as a learning curve.. got the stove late in the year and scrambled for wood... next year i will be ready with an excess of wood.

Me worried naaahhhhhh :lol: ;-P

summer2007232.gif

It did take me a year or two to get this far though but now it feels like it was worth the labor

I have never had any trouble burning those skids at all. Every once in a while they throw me a loop by using a pine runner, but for the majority of the time, they are all Oak. The paper they come in on weigh allot so I am guessing they have to be a sturdier wood.

Well, I still have 5 cords left, but only 4 are seasoned & only 3 are dry & I already went thru
2+ cords in nov & 1/3 of dec.

I'll probably eat almost a full cord getting to jan 1,08 I expect I'll be running on empty by the end of march.
And here I thought I was set for the whole winter. The wood goes a lot faster than you think.

Actually, i was running my pellet stove most of today, went thru 3/4 bag. I turned on the oil burner at 4 am for one cycle of heat as the extremities of the house were getting gawd aweful
cold. The poor little 50,000 btu pellet stove just is not up to heating more than 4 rooms & needs help.

I got the wood stove down for a refit from 1960 smoke dragon to preheated secondary
burn - epa- copy cat as it was eating entirely too much wood, I was having to bust up 5 pallets a day, just feeding the monster & not getting ahead any wood. I blow the pallets apart with a 12 lb sledgehammer, takes about 5 minutes /pallet of work & 20 min/pallet to get my wind back so as I can tackle the next pallet.

Tomorrow if will finish the secondary air pipes & line the monster with firebrick and see what I got. I am hoping to cut my wood expenditure by 40 %, then i would be a happy camper
& have enough wood to go the winter.
april, I put new wheel bearings on the trailer & start cutting down trees& hauling home trees,
in many little 40 lb pieces.

Im going to see about getting a dead wood harvesting permit or what ever the state has.

Status
Not open for further replies.