Anyone Else Considering Firing The Stove on June 30th?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I'm starting to feel a chill in the house as the temps outside have been hovering around 58 all afternoon. Feels more like October than Summer, crazy weather. Just last week it was in the 90's! Maybe just a small one to take off the chill?

It is 85 here but I think I will pass. My wife said she was chilly this morning so I asked if she want me to start up the stove. I got a dirty look.

Our's is up and running tonight, the stovetop thermometer reads 500. I'm wearing jeans, turtleneck, fleece vest, wool socks and my slippers. All the cats are looking for a warm human body to curl up against. I have a book to finish and am about to oblige their wishes.

Todd your west of me. Your weather might be here this weekend. My July 4 fire's are normally in the outside fire pit not the wood stove. Here June has been the 3rd wettest and coldest on record.

where is my global warming!? maybe i'll get a pre epa stove and speed this process along.....

The installation of my new stove (PE Spectrum) should be finished around the end of July and I intend to fire it up as soon as possible after completion. Need to check operation and cure new paint on the stove pipe. This is a good time of year for test firings in central NY because outdoor temps allow opening of windows and doors to clear out smell from curing paint.

I have friends who live in southeast coastal Maine and they have been as cold as the Dickens for the last two weeks or so. Here in central NY temps have been pleasantly warm. Humidity has been very high and we have had enough rain to fill Lake Mead to overflowing. There are ponds and a brook in a valley behind my house and that area resembles a river delta; without mosquitos or black flies. :)

Best wishes,

John_M

Correction: Using "...the Dickens..." in the second paragraph is an improper use of the phrase and Dickens should not have been capitalized. However, I hope the meaning is clear. Also, I tried four times to have the last line in para. two joined to the rest of the para. but was unsuccessful. This is a horrible start to a weather wonderful Wednesday morning; too many brain cramps.

Apologies for the bad example.

John_M

summit said:
where is my global warming!? maybe i'll get a pre epa stove and speed this process along.....

it's in FLORIDA!.......expected 98* this afternoon. Been going on for two weeks now.

summit said:

+1 :cheese:

My girls want a fire but I said only outside. I was so cold today working ouside, It was not funny for this time of year.

I thought about a fire to dry up the dampness.

Decided "No".

The AC's are in, it would be fruitless.

Gotta go dump the dehumidifier water again in the basement *exit, stage right*

wp-.jpg

Evening of July 1 and Jags lit a small fire in the Isle Royal. Thats gotta be a record in my book. Crazy I tell ya.

Well I have to come clean........I lit the stove last night. 8-/ It was 56* in the house.

No stove fire here....yet. But it is cold outdoors and cool indoors.

I chatted with a meteorologist about this system that has stalled over the Great Lakes and he does not sound too hopeful for it to move out just yet. He thinks the first two weeks of July will be much cooler than normal.

btw, this is not unheard of to be sure. I very well recall camping out one year on our anniversary (June 30) and the night time temperature dropping to 36 degrees!!! And we had no heat in that tent either! But, it all turned out okay.

Backwoods Savage said:
No stove fire here....yet. But it is cold outdoors and cool indoors.

I chatted with a meteorologist about this system that has stalled over the Great Lakes and he does not sound too hopeful for it to move out just yet. He thinks the first two weeks of July will be much cooler than normal.

btw, this is not unheard of to be sure. I very well recall camping out one year on our anniversary (June 30) and the night time temperature dropping to 36 degrees!!! And we had no heat in that tent either! But, it all turned out okay.

I bet you found a way to make your own heat huh Dennis. ;-) Happy anniversary!

Thanks Todd.

That's funny because I almost posted that we just made believe it was our wedding night and stayed nice and cozy!

Although it has not been "HOT" here. The A/c has been running. The dewpoints are up and I HATE the humidity.

There will be a fire in the pit for a party Saturday.

A little sunshine would greatly help the garden. I seen some root rot on some plants. Way to much rain!

KC

I would guess it has rained here 26 out of the 30 days in June. Everything is soggy and the basement is very damp and I have no humidifier. The last two days have been around 62 and the wife almost turned on the thermostat today. (The new wood stove hasn't been installed yet.

If I had really been thinking I'd have done a load of laundry and hung it to dry on the racks last night to extract the maximum efficiency from the fire we had... . It was 54 degrees at 7 PM, and the fire sure felt nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.