Anyone else have roasted family for Christmas dinner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waulie

Minister of Fire
Aug 31, 2011
Nothern Lower Michigan
Had the family over for Christmas eve and Christmas day. I'm the only wood burner of the bunch. The house was ranging between 70 and 73, and of course I had to hear about how hot it was! They all keep their thermostats under 65. I kindly suggested they remove their sweaters, sweatshirts, etc.

I didn't load the stove Christmas morning to avoid more "it's hot in here" stuff. Around 11:00 am I caught my sister backing up to the still warm stove. "I'm getting used to your hot house", she says. So, I throw another load on the fire.

I had roasted family for Christmas dinner. Oh yeah, also had beef roast cooked on the stove with pototoes, onions, and carrots. Good stuff!

Happy Holidays!

I had 20 family members in the house and they all loved the heat, it was 74 in the house.

Send them over to Browning Bar. He grills families at 90F. :oops:==c
It's more like a convection oven. They finish cooking more quickly and no charred spots.

Reactions: begreen
I let the fire go out the day before but the stove was warm to the touch well after the family left. A few coals buried deep in the ash was all it took. My home is smallish and we had a good 30 people plus the oven running.

I had some complain it was too cold and some that it was too hot. Just right. Actually, the women well past middle age were the only ones to say anything. We had hot and cold beverages to help individuals regulate their temps.

Yeah, there were only 10 to 12 of us but that many bodies does add quite a bit of heat. I told my wife if we just had several more children, we'd hardly ever have to have a fire. Luckily, she didn't seem too keen on that.

Yeah, there were only 10 to 12 of us but that many bodies does add quite a bit of heat. I told my wife if we just had several more children, we'd hardly ever have to have a fire. Luckily, she didn't seem too keen on that.
Switching to oil heat would be cheaper than adding a bunch of children. Your wife chose wisely.

lol, had a similar problem here. Wife's sister and family stayed with us over the holidays, most of them need to sleep in the basement room where the stove is. Managed to keep it down to 79 for the most part but can get as hot as 90 down there :)

Had to let it go cold on Christmas night cause they couldn't sleep the night before :( Furnace still didn't kick on though!

A hot stove is a good way to keep those "beloved" family members from lingering too long in the house . . . a cold house also works pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.