Anyone else have this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
Does anyone else get a far amount of smoke when there stove is cursing. Stove is at 650 tubes glowing and pipe is at 300 and still getting a far amount of smoke out the stack. I get steam when it's really cold but this is not steam it's only 43 outside. Pic of the fire but to dark to get a good one of the flue. I suspect it has something to do the the secondaries mainly in the center
20181227_205050.jpg

So...where you measuring the 650 at???

Something is off if you’re getting smoke at that point in the burn. What moisture content is your wood? Also, your glass looks pretty gunked up which could point to wet wood.

The 650 is dead center of the stove top. Usually likes to go to 700+. The glass on the right side is black because I always put a split with a flat side up against the side. It slowly cleans itself up as the night goes on. Moisture content who knows it's def dry but stupid me I didn't have it covered until August and with all the rain we had its def wet

Actually the glass isn't as black as it looks

Looks like its turned down too low. Need a tad more air. Need to put a little more heat up the flue maybe.

Reactions: KindredSpiritzz
I get steam when it's really cold but this is not steam it's only 43 outside. Pic of the fire but to dark to get a good one of the flue. I suspect it has something to do the the secondaries mainly in the center
Why do you suspect the secondaries...sounds like they might be burning differently than you remember in the past?
I've seen steam when it's pretty warm out. If the relative humidity is high (like 50% or greater,) the steam can carry a long way, too, like 20' or more, before the water vapor can be absorbed by the wet air. If the wind is blowing the right way and the exhaust is carried downward to where you can smell it, you can make the determination as to whether it's actually smoke or just steam.
Uncovered wood can hold a little moisture, but if it's been covered again for a few months like you say, surface moisture shouldn't be an issue. If you have a load of splits inside next to the stove for a couple, three days before you load them, surface moisture should be gone for sure.

If I had turned the air up more I would have had a red stovrtop. It was def smoke I could smell it. I have a large plastic tub I keep wood in by the stove. It hold two rows worth. One rows drys while I burn the other. It seems like the secondaries for the first hour or so are concentrated to the center of the fire box. I think instead of one large doghouse in the center it needs a small one on each side of the firebox