1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anyone ever burn "Buckskin Larch"

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by okotoks guy, Oct 18, 2010.

1. okotoks guy

okotoks guy New Member

Loc:
    Alberta
    I have an opportunity to get my hands on 12 cords of what the guy is calling
    "Buckskin Larch" Apparently some call the same wood Tamarack. The price is
    quite low at $125/cord. Around here people are asking for $500 for white birch and
    anywhere from $200-400 for spruce,pine and poplar.The stuff I'm looking at
    picking up is a long ways from me but I'm thinking I can make a few bucks.It is
    already blocked into 16" rounds.

Does anyone have experience burning it.Apparently it is a favorite in the Pacific Northwest.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. John_M

John_M Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I burned a lot of buckskin larch/tamarack while living in Idaho for 13 years. It was very popular: no bark (buckskin), seasoned quickly, split easily, nice fire, good Btu's. If I could purchase 12 cords of good wood (not punky) already bucked @$125 per cord I would jump on it.

John_M
  3. chumby

chumby New Member

Loc:
    Hartland, Maine
    Have never burned it but have some growing on the property. My understanding is that folks in Downeast Maine burn it fairly often and prefer it when hardwood is not available. Good luck.
  4. Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Britton MI
    Now thats some hot burning wood! Smells like turpentine when I split it green. My friend said his grandpa overfired his stove with it.

Billy