Anyone ever burn "Buckskin Larch"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okotoks guy

Hearth Supporter
May 22, 2010
Alberta
I have an opportunity to get my hands on 12 cords of what the guy is calling
"Buckskin Larch" Apparently some call the same wood Tamarack. The price is
quite low at $125/cord. Around here people are asking for $500 for white birch and
anywhere from $200-400 for spruce,pine and poplar.The stuff I'm looking at
picking up is a long ways from me but I'm thinking I can make a few bucks.It is
already blocked into 16" rounds.

Does anyone have experience burning it.Apparently it is a favorite in the Pacific Northwest.

I burned a lot of buckskin larch/tamarack while living in Idaho for 13 years. It was very popular: no bark (buckskin), seasoned quickly, split easily, nice fire, good Btu's. If I could purchase 12 cords of good wood (not punky) already bucked @$125 per cord I would jump on it.

John_M

Have never burned it but have some growing on the property. My understanding is that folks in Downeast Maine burn it fairly often and prefer it when hardwood is not available. Good luck.

Now thats some hot burning wood! Smells like turpentine when I split it green. My friend said his grandpa overfired his stove with it.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.