Anyone ever burn cow patties in their stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a guy on here a year or two ago that burned cow manure in his old Pre-epa Earth Stove, wanted to know if it would be worth his time to upgrade to a newer EPA stove, I don't think he ever got an answer as no one else burned manure in a wood stove.
Well could someone please try! I have seen hair brained ideas galore here, and someone MUST have done it. It doesn't seem all that foul, just a little out of the box thinking! This video must have given Barefoot the idea for their Envi Block design!

My neighbor already dislikes my "stacks". Imagine how he would feel of I started collecting and drying cow poop!:eek:

Reactions: Adamkyr
We have three dogs (Boxers) that produce copious amounts of.... Nope, not going there!!!!

Go for it...you're the one with the burning question. Be sure to report back.
While I live between rural and suburbs, I don't live on or near a farm. The only ones anywhere nearby are basically petting zoo type. Bend Oregon isn't stock full of it? You seem to miss the point that I am trying to see if any of our fine members have already done this and to what effect. Thank you for your candor though.

Cow chips and Cotton wood bark were both reported to reduce creosote. But that may have just been a good excuse to get rid of the stuff.

Patties from Herefords and Guernsey can be burned after one year top covered. Angus takes three years.

cowpat1.jpg drying cow patties are common sight in SE Asia
CowDungMounds.jpg stocked for winter - poophausens?
CowpiesOnWall_940 (Medium).jpg In urban areas you dry vertically on a sunny wall

I spent a lot of time throughout Vietnam and India and can attest to cow patties being burned for fuel and for heat. They work well- less smoke than burning bamboo or wet wood. No smell either.

I may be getting desperate with the extreme temps we have had this year - Burning all my pine, throwing bark into the insert - taking the sawzall to as many pallets as I can get my hands on and burning them - but I think I would break down and turn on the <shudder> electric heat before I try out this idea!

Please god don't let this turn into a Meat Smoking Thread!

the btu in cow dung is only a fraction of the btu in wood. I calculated 25-60 btu per pound. Not worth the effort if you ask me.

Details? Since its cellulose and other hydrocarbons, I figure 'well seasoned' cow dung would be north of 4000 BTU/lb

The fact that it has lower btu content than wood is somewhat irrelevant. It's free and needs no tools other than hands to make the patties. Dehli alone is over 12 million persons. There aren't enough trees to sustain that demand. But cows are everywhere and poop like clockwork. It's very efficient from that standpoint, though the cumulative effect of hundreds of thousands of dung fires in the city makes for some hellacious smog in the winter.

Last edited:
Please god don't let this turn into a Meat Smoking Thread!
For that subtle herbaceous note demanding of only the finest cuts! My mouth is watering already!

The fact that is has lower btu content than wood is somewhat irrelevant. It's free and needs no tools other than hands to make the patties. Dehli alone is over 12 million persons. There aren't enough trees to sustain that demand. But cows are everywhere and poop like clockwork. It's very efficient from that standpoint, though the cumulative effect of hundreds of thousands of dung fires in the city makes for some hellacious smog in the winter.

You would have to burn only in A full Poopafier....Gasifier to keep the smog down...

A cheap, well designed, rocket stove cooker would probably help a lot here.

Status
Not open for further replies.