anyone ever had an appliance shipped like buying from CList?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
Dang it the old stove I want is over 4hrs away. Unfort I have have feather girls and it restricts what we do.
anyone ever have an item shipped? it an old Flair oven 3o inches wide up in Chillote Ohio or Frankfort Ohio... to us here in KY...coure it heavy
Guy said he will hold less than a week time....
anyone? before I paid a guy to drive just a far to get some like new Pella windows...
thought yall? thanks wish I would have asked yall knowledge guys sooner

Whenever I look into it, I give up. The freight business isn't set up well for private shipping. It has to be packaged extremely well on pallet and if it gets damaged along the way it highly unlikely you will get anything for the claim. More than half the cost is the last run to your house and unless you have a truck dock you pay extra for a hydraulic tailgate. You can sometimes ship direct to terminal for pickup which cuts the cost but apparently many terminals don't deal well with folks doing direct pickup. I have seen references that Fastenal stores may offer services where you pay them to do the shipping and or have them receive a truck delivery but I have not looked into it as the closest Fastenal dealer is miles away.

There was UShip but I get the impression that unlike the cable show the likelihood of getting someone to do a pickup and delivery is poor

A few years back I was about ready to drive to Kentucky to pick up a woodstove from New Hampshire When I looked into shipping costs it just about covered my gas.

I've had a new snow blower shipped to me from a Distributor. It arrived bent, scratched and crushed. To return it the freight carrier need the thing packaged and strapped to the Skid. After weeks of phone calls and emails I was able to return it. Spent 5 hours configuring the skid to hold the unit and $20 in materials. A week later I received an invoice from the freight carrier for $750. The snow blower cost was only $900. Another week of phone calls and emails. The distributor finally straightened out the freight charges.

Never again!

By the time you buy it and pay to ship it you could most likely buy a new one.

What's the name of the internet based shipping. They have a bunch guys with pickup trucks and trailers bidding on shipping jobs. It was a TV show for a few seasons. I heard of people that used it.

UShip was the firm that had a cable TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.