Anyone ever have a partner on big equipment: Like a splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MY fatherinlaw and I went in together on a used splitter for 600 bucks 300 each. I have to do all the upkeep but thats ok. The splitter works good and it was reasonably priced

My father in law and I share many pieces of equipment. He bought the snow blower, tiller and our first chain saw. I have the splitter, truck and weed whacker.

It works out well. We are always helping each other out. He has a real bad leg so I do all the snow blowing and tilling. He even lt me marry his daughter.

Kenster said:
My neighbor, the proposed partner on the splitter, is the type of guy that, if he could justify owning a splitter for his own needs, he would buy it and say, "Ken, come on over and get it anytime you need it. By the way, the tomatoes are ripe so help yourself to those, too."

We could both afford a splitter on our own but it just doesn't make sense for the small amounts of firewood we do each year. I'll bet he doesn't burn half a cord in his open fireplace but he sells a little from downed trees on his property, mostly to little old ladies at the church. I think he only charges them $100 a cord cut and split, delivered and stacked. And I guarantee you they'll get probably ten percent above a "dictionary cord." I'm almost 59 and he's probably almost ten years older. He'd give me the shirt off his back if he thought I needed it. I have no worries about partnership issues with him.

I wonder if you could install a Hobbs meter, like I had on my Cessna and still have on m 8N tractor. Then we could log in actual use and agree to put into a maintenance kitty X number of dollars per hour used.

And I'm likely to use it more than he will. I haven't even asked him yet. He might not have any interest or need. I'll let you know.

I appreciate all the pointers and insights.

From the sounds of it this is the ideal person to enter into a purchase such as this . . . as mentioned . . . if you are in a deal with a person that is already giving more than his 50% share -- whether it's giving the other person more wood, more time, etc. -- than you're in the right partnership . . . especially if you have the same mindset and are always trying to give more to the other person as well to make things "right."

I think stuff like this is a good idea. Just have an exit strategy. What happens if you buddy no longer wants his half of the splitter and you don't have the $$ or desire to buy his share?

I'm about to go in with a buddy for a Husky splitter. he owns a motorcycle/ATV repair shop, so I have total confidence in his ability to make sure that the machine is well taken care of. I'll pick it up, and the first stop will be at his shop to go over the machine with a fine tooth comb to make sure that all bolts are tightl fluids topped off, that crazy lovejoy thing is tight, etc etc. He'll break the engine in just right, make sure it's working good and we'll be all set. I used to be able to rent a splitter for $50.00 froma tree guy up the road, but he is moving his operations. Hasta la vista to cheap splitter rentals and & $75 per cord for hardwood rounds :-((

Much a id like to have one , thats the one thing that seems to make sense to rent. I rent a big one for $40 a day plus gas. Usually split 2-3 years worth of wood that day, no problems storing an unused machine for long periods without using it , no maintenance, no up front cost,no replacement cost, dont miss that $40 every few years as much as id miss the cost and hassle of buying one and maintaining it,of course to each his own. I do however have 7 wood stoves some homemade and some store bought only 2 of which i use on a regular basis.

Yeah, that's exactly what I should settle on. I can rent Iron and Oak for $50 a day or $75 a weekend. Knock out all my needs in one weekend every year or so. That just makes sense. Not that everything I ever do makes sense. Just ask my bride for the past 37 years, as of tomorrow.

I got a chance to ask my neighbor just this morning as he was bringing a sack of home grown tomatoes. He said he'd be interested in co-owning a splitter but doesn't see his needs as justifying even half the cost of a new Husky 22 ton, which would be about $550 each with tax. I said I'd look around to see if we could find a good used one. Or maybe a third partner.

I live on a cul-de-sac with three other neighbors. They all burn and use my splitter all the time. I own the splitter out right but they always look for reasons to give me money. So far its been well over the cost of it. I do all the maintanace, which I enjoy. If something breaks because of misuse on their part I would have no problem fixing it myself. All of the parts are so inexpensive. But I really can't think of any way they could damage it. They are all experienced burners and if something did happen to it, it would probably be something I myself could have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.