Anyone ever heard of a Gibraltar wood stove insert?.?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Renjilj

Sep 17, 2014
Newtown, CT
Figure this is the best shot for info. Haven't been able to find anything anywhere on any search..

Was given an older Gibraltar insert free. Near as I can tell at least 2.5 cu' or larger and a solid chunk of steel. Has 2 blowers (shot) that appear to be 107 cfm ea. It is firebrick lined and has a shelf for a baffle although missing. No tubes or anything cat like. It's a double front door design and the only markings left are "Gibraltar" on one door in gold and a small plate under doors stating "wood burning only" and some other don't kill yourself stuff...

Any idea how many btu, efficiency, quality? The fact that I can't find much makes me nervous.. It needs an 8" adapter from square to round and an 8" liner as well as 2 blowers and a baffle. Figure about $700-900 to put in service. Concern is without knowing anything about it, is it worth it or sunk money (8" liner)?

Will send some pics when I can get later

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 1,222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 1,963
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 2,470
Last edited:
Those were usually wood/coal-combo stoves. It is a little odd that yours says for wood only. Still I would check in this coal-burner forum: http://nepacrossroads.com/
They may be able to help you.

Those were usually wood/coal-combo stoves. It is a little odd that yours says for wood only. Still I would check in this coal-burner forum: http://nepacrossroads.com/
They may be able to help you.

Do you know if they were any good? I am contemplating hooking up or new osburn 2000/2400 as you know! It would be the cheaper route, but if it sucks then I'm out about $800 in parts that aren't compatible

Honestly, I have no clue about the stove, only remembered seeing a similar question on the forum a while ago. However, if the stove does not (currently) have the ability to inject secondary air you are looking at a pre-EPA stove which will require you to burn about twice as much wood as you would do in a modern EPA-stove. I don't see the appeal in splitting twice as much wood as I need to and smoking out the neighborhood but that is your call. Make sure you can fit an 8" liner down your chimney.

An 8 inch liner will likely pull too much draft on that stove. Think about the draft created when the stove is just kinda stuck in a fireplace opening, not much right? When you hook a liner to it you get way more draft than was intended. The fix is to scale down the liner size and go from there. There are a few posts on here dealing with this same sort of thing.

It is a Gibralter DDi fireplace insert. Had a shaker grate for coal burning but a few of the makers by about 1984 were learning that their stoves weren't worth a darn at burning coal and started selling them as wood only.

An eight inch liner will do fine. Downsizing the liner would increase draft velocity. Not decrease it.

Help! I need a fireplace screen for my 1986 Gibraltar wood burning insert. Model CF1. Anyone have one to sell.