Anyone ever sell wood to a Barbeque joint?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I'm giving my bro-inlaw about 1/3 cord of 1.5 year seasoned hickory to sell/barter at the restaurant he does some odd jobs at. I'd sell 1/3 cord of regular (oak) firewood for $50. Since this is a business, I think I'll tell him to ask $100. That sound fair? He's not a good negotiator.... more of a give $20 and a meal sort.

The bbq here pays 200.00 cord for hickory seasoned.. the cracker barrel pays 250.00 for oak.

i don't smoke meat. I think I should. But, wouldn't unseasoned wood be smokier?

Danno77 said:

most bbq joints will be indirect heat and smoke is just a byproduct and adds favor but it is still the heat thats doing the cooking...Now cold smoking a different story.

leftyscott said:
I'm giving my bro-inlaw about 1/3 cord of 1.5 year seasoned hickory to sell/barter at the restaurant he does some odd jobs at. I'd sell 1/3 cord of regular (oak) firewood for $50. Since this is a business, I think I'll tell him to ask $100. That sound fair? He's not a good negotiator.... more of a give $20 and a meal sort.

No disrespect meant leftyscott, but I fail to understand why you would charge one person one price and another person a higher price. Even considering this is a business, one has to remember that to stay in business he has to make a dollar and by paying higher prices that cuts that dollar pretty short. But the big reason to me is that it just does not seem the right thing to do.

What if some day that business owner came to you direct to buy the same thing and you did not know who he was. Suddenly he finds out he has been paying double price. How would that make him feel? Maybe happy that he found a bargain or maybe really ticked off because he had been getting the shaft before.

Do onto others as you would have them do unto you is still great advice.

Dennis,

I'm not trying to stick it to the business owner as much as get a premium for a special request ie hickory only, which is quite a bit rarer around these parts. If he ever wanted red oak, I would be more than happy to work out an arrangement. I hand-split everything, so I have quite a bit of labor already invested.

Dennis, you make a valid point, though, and I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Scott

All one type of wood will gring a better price hickory oak for sure!

Danno77 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing until a week or two ago... I did some research on various forums after acquiring some apple-wood. The consensus was seasoned wood is much better and that if you smoke it green it leaves a bad/bitter flavor. Not sure what the chemical basis for that is.

Same thing here CJ. I have a pile of sticks 1-2" of apple. My question to you guys is bark on or off smoking with the sticks?

FireAnt said:
Same thing here CJ. I have a pile of sticks 1-2" of apple. My question to you guys is bark on or off smoking with the sticks?

both work good.

FireAnt said:
It doesn't matter. I have heard that green apple bark contains some harmful toxins. (my opinion on this is that it is no more toxic than any wood smoke)
Whatever it is you are smoking your meat with... season it! Green wood tends to make bitter smoke. (except Peach)

CJRages said:
Danno77 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing until a week or two ago... I did some research on various forums after acquiring some apple-wood. The consensus was seasoned wood is much better and that if you smoke it green it leaves a bad/bitter flavor. Not sure what the chemical basis for that is.

It is called creosote. And it does not taste good on ribs.

It is called creosote. And it does not taste good on ribs
It is bitter and for wood burners it is the worst. Seasoned wood is a must for smoking/cooking. I would swap two cords of seasoned oak for a cord of seasoned apple any day. good luck

How long would you let 1-2" sticks season?

leftyscott said:
Dennis,

I'm not trying to stick it to the business owner as much as get a premium for a special request ie hickory only, which is quite a bit rarer around these parts. If he ever wanted red oak, I would be more than happy to work out an arrangement. I hand-split everything, so I have quite a bit of labor already invested.

Dennis, you make a valid point, though, and I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Scott

Understood Scott. Good luck.

Agreed upon price was $50.

I'm not asking for any $ from my bro-inlaw as he gave me about 6 hours of labor last weekend.

FireAnt said:
How long would you let 1-2" sticks season?

I'd take some long-handled pruning shears and cut the sticks into 6 inch lengths. They will lose most of their moisture through the ends. I think they will season fast, perhaps a few months of spring/summer weather.

10 years ago I contracted with a restaurant to sell Hickory for smoking meats. I charged him almost double for the wood because....1) He payed with a check. 2) I had to primise to use vegetable oil as the chain lubricant when cutting. The latter made sense but, was a mess to clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.