Anyone every make their own paper bricks or logs for burning? See Video!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Take all your junk mail and news papers and mix with water then compress and dry!

See video!
!

Discussed here many times before...as well as smashing leaves/yard debris together, soaking in used motor oil, etc., etc., etc. Anyone with a modern wood burning stove who bothers to open up the owner's manual and peruse its contents will undoubtedly come across a manufacturer's admonition to burn (as the primary fuel) nothing but properly seasoned (dry) firewood in the appliance. Save the paper for sparing use as tinder/kindling to get a fire of real wood going. Rick

Reactions: StihlHead
Well, I guess it might be just used as fire starters. Thanks

I tried this some years back on an open fire and all I got was a load of ash.

An unbelievable amount of ash.......
wink.gif

I tried this some years back on an open fire and all I got was a load of ash.

An unbelievable amount of ash.......
wink.gif

...and it smells horrible

Yah, burning that compressed junk mail and magazines is not so good, especially with the used motor oil pressed in them. Paper, as someone else posted leaves gobs of ash. I burn the paper, junk mail, and food boxes/cardboard in my stoves only when they are cold for starting fires. Cardboard can burn really hot... 800 degrees or so. You can overfire a stove with that stuff if you burn too much of it.

I believe the huge amount of ash comes from the clay that is added to finer papers to give it a stiffer and more glossy feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.