Anyone familiar with brick fireplaces with storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heating8

Hearth Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
south central PA
Short of climbing up to look down, a house has two terra cotta flues a larger one for the fireplace and a smaller one that doesn't seem to come down anywhere i can figure other than the wood storage area. (Yes i looked in the basement and on the second floor and in the garage) Is there any chance that the wood storage area has make-up air? When I look up at that spot, there are some wooden slats above that are fairly tight (i.e. I can't see past them but maybe a quarter's width apart). Surely someone on here has a similar type setup.

fireplace photo for hearth question.jpg

What is the age of this house? Any chance it is some late attempt at an oven, converted to wood storage later?

No, it's too new for that. It's not more than 35ish years old. I was surprised the brick wasn't continuous around the wood storage area to the right. I can't say i ever took a look into the top of one before, just always assumed

The second one doesn't go all the way to the basement for the funace?

The second one doesn't go all the way to the basement for the funace?

That's my bet. Even if there's no furnace hooked up to it, I bet there's a crock there. It may be cemented over, but I bet it goes to the basement.

No, it's too new for that. It's not more than 35ish years old. I was surprised the brick wasn't continuous around the wood storage area to the right. I can't say i ever took a look into the top of one before, just always assumed

Yep... that's why my original post included the word "late" and "attempt". If this house were old, they'd have known how to make an oven! ;lol Thought maybe the original owner was some old-house-cooking-in-a-wood-fired-oven romantic.

A basement flue is more likely, but should be obvious.

I agree that the wood fired oven theory would be a more interesting story! Is that an open fireplace in your living room?

Status
Not open for further replies.