Anyone getting ready yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
I started moving wood into the covered racks by the garage today. Anyone else getting ready? We are supposed to get hit with the remnants of Florence this week, figured I’d get it moved before everything got soaked.

Just gave my Quadrafire 5100i its first cleaning. After two years, only a coffee can of fine creosote.

Also hauled in as much wood as my garage can handle. Its supposed to cool off and rain the next two weeks so the wood isn't going to get any dryer!

Too bad it rains most days here! Did get a cord of rounds dropped off.

I already had two fires a couple of weeks ago when we got a bit of unseasonably cool weather.

Wow. Not here. Been in the high 80s and humid as all get out. Lots of rain coming from Hurricane Florence the next few days and then it appears summer may be over with cooler nights and less humid days. Still not fire weather yet, though. I’m counting down, however! Can’t wait to strike that first match!

Started a 12 cord wood shed on the weekend, progress pics to follow.
P_20180914_184349.jpg
To supplement the existing 6 cord shed/chicken coop...
P_20180515_170045.jpg

Reactions: MissMac
...been hot here lately, but autumn temperatures appear to be upon us (mid Sierra Nevadas): I moved a few wood loads to the house today (and should start in earnest this week). The splitting for this year was done last year, but I will be splitting some stuff for next year this week as well.

I moved our rack from our patio onto our re-purposed deck out back. Now I just need to fill it when I get home so it is ready for the burning season. I might need to split the small pile I have in the driveway before the rain comes. Wife was happy the mess is outside now and I'm happier it's closer to the stove. Only problem is now I have to deal with a tarp instead of just stacking it inside, can't wait to get our covered porch done. Also need to get my inside rack built next to our stove. Ugghhh so much to do with so little time.

I moved our rack from our patio onto our re-purposed deck out back. Now I just need to fill it when I get home so it is ready for the burning season. I might need to split the small pile I have in the driveway before the rain comes. Wife was happy the mess is outside now and I'm happier it's closer to the stove. Only problem is now I have to deal with a tarp instead of just stacking it inside, can't wait to get our covered porch done. Also need to get my inside rack built next to our stove. Ugghhh so much to do with so little time.

I hear ya. There was a time I used to stack for the winter in our 3 seasons room. The Mrs. was not happy with the resulting mess so that lasted for only 1 season. It was very convenient while it lasted.

I hear ya. There was a time I used to stack for the winter in our 3 seasons room. The Mrs. was not happy with the resulting mess so that lasted for only 1 season. It was very convenient while it lasted.
I'm going to miss being able to walk out and grab wood in bedtime apparel. No shoes needed no bundling just walk out with my firewood sling load her up and be done. I'll have to make sure to keep my inside supply nice and stocked.

We have already completed our annual ritual of moving 4 cords to the back of the house near the bulkhead. Did it this year in only about 6 hours with my wife's Jeep Wrangler and our small trailer. We're both really happy that it got done that fast!

I'm going to miss being able to walk out and grab wood in bedtime apparel. No shoes needed no bundling just walk out with my firewood sling load her up and be done. I'll have to make sure to keep my inside supply nice and stocked.

You and I are in somewhat of the same boat this year. I am able to keep mine in the garage this year, although not in the same quantity as before. So there will be more trips to the stacks for me this year to keep the garage loaded.

Still far too warm and humid here. The way things look, it will be November before we start burning.
That's not always a bad thing considering I burned 6 cords and into the middle of April last year. I would be okay with burning only at night in Nov. up to Dec. and again only burning nights in April maybe March. either way the burning season was way too long last year for me. I ran out of seasoned wood.

We will be trying to hold off on 24/7 burning until later in the year also, to try to prevent blowing through the 4 cords.

We will be trying to hold off on 24/7 burning until later in the year also, to try to prevent blowing through the 4 cords.

In years past, I had issues with using all of my seasoned wood as well. Over the last two years i busted hump and now have 9-10 cords of seasoned wood (equates to 2 years for us) at the ready. It was effort well spent. Now, I am working towards years ahead instead of next years wood.

That's not always a bad thing considering I burned 6 cords and into the middle of April last year. I would be okay with burning only at night in Nov. up to Dec. and again only burning nights in April maybe March. either way the burning season was way too long last year for me. I ran out of seasoned wood.

I hear that. Burning season went on way too long last year. I did use time during the break in the rain today to get our wood rack out of the storage shed and set it up in the house.

Now all I have to do is fill it up after a few dry days, once the weather looks like it is starting to cool down.

I am waaay behind. Only wood related thing I have done all year is spend a couple hours a couple weeks ago cutting one windfall up & scouting out more. I do have a couple years wood ahead in the yard but usually have another years worth all cut & split by now.

Weather is looking decent for moving some inside this coming weekend now - was looking wet a few days ago. So that should be my nudge. Er, shove.

Stacks are locked and loaded. Just moved maybe 1/4 cord into the basement to be safe for October. Chimney sweep came today, all set there. Wife complained yesterday the house was cold. Green light!

chimney is swept. .52 cord still stacked outside under the patio from last winter. 12 more split and stacked out back. 2 more bucked and ready to split...

I have a feeling I will be bringing up wood from the back more regularly this year as we are doing a big project and my wood storage has become other storage for the things that were in the 3 sheds that came down.

Garage loaded - we have had a wet year here in VA. Lots of surface moisture on my season wood. I have it stacked in the garage and a fan blowing between two stacks to clear off the surface moisture...wood was live oak c/s four years ago, but given our humid climate, it gets bad even off the ground. Getting it out of the rain and dry with airflow always helps. I have a couple cords at end of driveway, up on pallets in full sun of some pine and poplar that will also ge me well into the burning season.

My stacks are in the woods and don't get great sun so although years old, they end up with some punk especially if there is splits with bark. We just take the into consideration on when to pull it inside and when to put on the driveway under cover to minimize moisture.

Garage loaded - we have had a wet year here in VA. Lots of surface moisture on my season wood. I have it stacked in the garage and a fan blowing between two stacks to clear off the surface moisture...wood was live oak c/s four years ago, but given our humid climate, it gets bad even off the ground. Getting it out of the rain and dry with airflow always helps. I have a couple cords at end of driveway, up on pallets in full sun of some pine and poplar that will also ge me well into the burning season.

My stacks are in the woods and don't get great sun so although years old, they end up with some punk especially if there is splits with bark. We just take the into consideration on when to pull it inside and when to put on the driveway under cover to minimize moisture.

It’s been rough in the Midwest. Wet here too. June we had 28 days of rain. Not sure without checking but i think 20 in July. Never used to cover my stacks but this year has made me reconsider and I now have tarps over all of my cords. Good advice from from the folks on this site.

One idea I read on here is always stack with the bark on top. Started doing that this summer. Time will tell if it was good advice...

chimney is swept. .52 cord still stacked outside under the patio from last winter. 12 more split and stacked out back. 2 more bucked and ready to split...

I have a feeling I will be bringing up wood from the back more regularly this year as we are doing a big project and my wood storage has become other storage for the things that were in the 3 sheds that came down.
Fifty. Two. Cords. 52? My wife thinks I have a problem because I've got 18 or so CSS'd and keep taking more wood donations from the neighbours! I doff my cap to you sir.;lol

Reactions: Bushels20
Fifty. Two. Cords. 52? My wife thinks I have a problem because I've got 18 or so CSS'd and keep taking more wood donations from the neighbours! I doff my cap to you sir.;lol

That would be impressive! ;) Pardon the jokes Dobish...Getting stir crazy. Can’t wait to light that first fire! :)

Same thing here. I’ve got 12 or so C/s/s’d and my wife keeps asking “don’t we have enough?” I always says, “there is no such thing!”

Last edited: