Anyone have alternative uses for old creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough for me to throw anything useful away. We know it burns hotter than regular wood, and for that reason i've amassed several coffee cans of the stuff over the years. Anyone else do this? And do you have a task you accomplish with the stuff?

I just re-burn it

All it is is solidified wood smoke not to be confused with the stuff on telephone poles.

They use coal tar creosote on phone poles, but this stuff works too.

while the wood-tar variety has been used for meat preservation, wood treatment, and for medicinal purposes as an expectorant, anti-septic, astringent, anaesthetic and laxative, though these have mostly been replaced by newer medicines.

Thanks for giving a source to may ancient point. However, some of those other things just scare me.

I am actually shocked that my paw paw (grandpa) didn't use it on us as a laxative. Every time you had a stomach ache or felt bad it was two spoonfuls of caster oil ;sick;sick;sick;sick

Status
Not open for further replies.