Anyone Have an Opinion on RID-X for the Septic System?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
fossil said:

Yea I just read that....It is amazing how they can market this stuff! Glad I was making my own for a few Penny's..I will keep checking mine at least once a year. The other thing is I am not getting higher level each time I check it. It is same depth and seems to be around the same consistency each time. Using the same stick with a a mark on it. This crap scars the heck out of me......It was inspected when I bought the house after a post on here called a company to check it. He gave me the tip on marking a stick. Worst of all I am in a flood plan and fingers can be under water for a few weeks at a time. I think finally I have that well under control now, but no one else out here does. If THIS SEPTIC WENT DOWN I WILL BE FORCE TO GRAB CLOTHS AND WALK AWAY!

Along the same lines as this discussion.. .someone here recommended putting a lint filter on your washing machine outlet to keep the stuff out of your septic tank, and more importantly, drain field. Apparently the synthetic fibers don't degrade and can exit your tank and clog your drain lines. There are also filters available to put in the pipe between the tank and your drain field. You have to clean them out every once in a while.

Semipro said:
Along the same lines as this discussion.. .someone here recommended putting a lint filter on your washing machine outlet to keep the stuff out of your septic tank, and more importantly, drain field. Apparently the synthetic fibers don't degrade and can exit your tank and clog your drain lines.

Yes, I have read that elsewhere, too. Makes sense to me, and is easy and cheap to do.

If you want to introduce different bacteria into your system , flush your fruit and vegetable peels down the toilet.
If your a fisherman, flush some fish cleanings.
A handfull of grass from the mower.
All contain bacteria different from whats in the tank and all organic.

The lint filters intrigue me. I have a much coarser effluent filter and when I remove it for cleaning I can see the lint matted up on it. Surely some of the lint is getting down the line to the laterals and doing some damage. If I had an easy way to plumb in a lint filter I would but my washing machine is built into the cabinetry.

Smokinj, I can't see how an occasional dose of yeast would hurt. A common rule is that you shouldn't dump anything into the septic that you haven't eaten.

Highbeam said:
The lint filters intrigue me. I have a much coarser effluent filter and when I remove it for cleaning I can see the lint matted up on it. Surely some of the lint is getting down the line to the laterals and doing some damage. If I had an easy way to plumb in a lint filter I would but my washing machine is built into the cabinetry.

Smokinj, I can't see how an occasional dose of yeast would hurt. A common rule is that you shouldn't dump anything into the septic that you haven't eaten.

Yea but was hopping that it was doing something! lol When checking the tank it sure looks like it was doing the job. Its a 1500 gallon tank with 3 people dont know if that has anything to do with it?

with everything going "pro-biotic" on yah, you would probably be ok to throw a couple things of Activia down the drain...keeps things "regular".

i just had to dig up this thread and re-open it! after having a few friends/family over at the cottage (see page one of this thread), and saying good-bye to the last one to continue our fourth weekend, the toilet overflowed!!!! what luck! last flush of the weekend! so, today was spent digging and had the tank pumped out...first time since the 60's!! yup, the 1960's!! talked to the people who had it put in-"no, we've never had it pumped!" i believe it-there was a tree root about 5-6" diameter growing across the top of the tank! all better now, though.

a straight flush beats a full house.

Sounds like it needed pumping anyway, but I am wondering if the system would have corrected itself given a few days for the leach fields to do their thing.

Even a perfectly functioning septic system will need pumping eventually. Even with 100% decomposition of the waste occurring the mineral content of waste will accumulate and fill the tank; like the ash left behind after a fire.

If you let the solids in the tank get so high that the turbulence of entering waste sends the solids out to the drainfield, then you risk damage to the drainfield, and an expensive fix; much more expensive than having your tank pumped.

yooperdave said:
a straight flush beats a full house.

LOL :lol: Good one.

Semipro said:
Even a perfectly functioning septic system will need pumping eventually. Even with 100% decomposition of the waste occurring the mineral content of waste will accumulate and fill the tank; like the ash left behind after a fire.

If you let the solids in the tank get so high that the turbulence of entering waste sends the solids out to the drainfield, then you risk damage to the drainfield, ann an expensive fix; much more expensive than having your tank pumped.

Along those lines, I've been told to avoid solid dishwashing detergent that will leave more mineral deposit that can cause septic problems. With our super hard water (high in minerals anyway), the liquid leaves less residue on dishes anyhoo.

I just had my tank pumped after 5 years. It was required to get a building permit for a garage that has no connection! Anyway, I had 5" of sludge on the bottom. The inlet to the outlet is 24" off the bottom so in my case I feel good about 20 years between pumpings. Probably only 10 years.

Cost was 350$.

Everything is covered with bacteria just waiting to consume it. Take a dump and you have added enough to get the ball rolling. Certain drugs, chemo, etc, may screw with a septic- but guess what- your bacteria will come back.

While we're at it- the bacteria in "compost activator" is entirely unnecessary. Ever mow the grass and a pile of it is hot an hour later? Compost activator may have a high N source, but so does a good mix of"greens and browns"

Reactions: Highbeam
The old timers here on my side of the US say when you pump your tank take a dead ground hog and put it in there to jump start the system (lololol) there is probably truth to it but still..

There are lots of things that "won't hurt" to put into your 1000 gallon septic tank. You can do a little dance over the tank every year to have the same helpful effect as most.

No farting in the toilet. That disturbs the bugs in the septic tank! You've got to stand up first!

I flush poo into my septic system to "get it going" after the cucka sucka stops by . . . seems to have the same effect.

The effective bacteria in a healthy septic system are anaerobic. I'm not following how dosing the tank with aerobic bacteria would help.

Everything is covered with bacteria just waiting to consume it. Take a dump and you have added enough to get the ball rolling. Certain drugs, chemo, etc, may screw with a septic- but guess what- your bacteria will come back.

While we're at it- the bacteria in "compost activator" is entirely unnecessary. Ever mow the grass and a pile of it is hot an hour later? Compost activator may have a high N source, but so does a good mix of"greens and browns"
The foulest tanks to pump are those where heavy drugs have been used. Heavy antibiotic usage is bad but chemo drugs are reported to be the worst.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
If you use bleach in your laundry then you may be killing the good bacteria. That is the only reason I have ever heard to use additives.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk