Anyone have any idea what this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireUpTheChainsaw

Oct 17, 2022
Trumbull, CT, USA
IMG_E67E871E-2631-4A1A-B639-F6E89062F8C3.jpeg

I got a lot of this from my neighbor, but not sure what it is and neither does he.

IMG_3316CB3A-1797-4D31-9EFA-DEC723B0F90E.jpeg

Reactions: patrickk222
I'm guessing something in the spruce or larch families.
Second guess would be hemlock?

Tamarack...? Was it taken from a wet area?

Not sure what tamarack is called in the east. Tamarack is a lowland species while larch is a mountain species here. Similar.

One way to rule out a softwood; needles or leaves? Gotta be a leaf or a needle around somewhere.

Last edited:
A fresh cut or split should rule out or confirm any of the pine/spruce varieties based off smell. Maybe some of the spruces are mild smelling if it’s cured at all.

Reactions: Newbie78
The bark should also say if it’s a hard or soft wood. I can’t see it clearly enough on my phone, but it doesn't really look like pine, spruce, or fir.

Last edited:
Reactions: all night moe
Tamarack...? Was it taken from a wet area?

Not sure what tamarack is called in the east. Tamarack is a lowland species while larch is a mountain species here. Similar.

One way to rule out a softwood; needles or leaves? Gotta be a leaf or a needle around somewhere.
Tamarack is actually in the larch family.

I'm gonna guess it's fairly light to lift. Looks like silver maple. There's a lot of the stuff growing in central CT.

No larch in CT, I’m in the maple boat too

The wood looks like ash. I can't ID the bark, too much moss.
Maple splits a little cleaner than Ash. That split looks like you could lick it without getting a splinter. Ash splits clean, but not that clean.