1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Anyone have experience with Fiat-Allis?

Post in 'The Gear' started by nate379, Apr 28, 2013.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. salecker

salecker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Canada
    Hi Nate
    A friend of mine has a huge one D10 size,i hauled the blade for him and it's a lowbed load.He has used it for a couple mining seasons,and has bought a couple more for parts.If you need any info i could ask him for you.
    If you can get it cheep enough you can allways sell it to a miner.
    Thomas
  3. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    Having had a little experience sourcing parts for Italian equipment, I would definitely look into availability before buying. Could end up being a very large paper-weight.
  4. loadstarken

loadstarken Member

Loc:
    Redmond, WA
    You should definitely go and preview it and bounce some questions off of anyone to see what kind of shape its in.

I bought the truck in my avatar thru govliquidation and it was an awesome transaction that went silky smooth!

*Fixed spelling*
  5. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I remember Fiat-Allis ag equipment being air cooled. That doesn't appear to be the case here. I'm pretty sure there weren't a lot of gaskets, either, but very tightly machined sealing surfaces.

That machine looks pretty decent. Are you going to bid?
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Nice grousers, like new. Rim sprocket with pretty fresh teeth. The actual track links are not so fresh.

That's not a 6-way blade and not a huge dozer so it won't be a tree flipping and stump popping machine. I owned a smaller dozer for land clearing and it was fun but not nearly as productive as the same amount of fuel and time through an excavator.
  7. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Ya. Both is better yet. My friends have a shear on a smallish-medium size JD hoe (don't remember the number), and it's lots of fun snipping off 24" trees. Then once the stumps are dug out, the shear goes back on and turns them into a pile of mulch. Well, not really mulch, but something that can be burned in a timely fashion.
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I suppose we should consider that the Alaskan trees might only be pencils and may pop out easier with a smaller dozer.
  9. nate379

nate379 Guest

It's equivalent to a D7 so fairly large. Weighs 42,000lbs. I have done land clearing with a D5 and it did just fine. Sure some of the bigger junk you had to approach it with some brains, but mostly was just a point and shoot deal.

6 way blade isn't hard to build. Have built two of them for older dozers.

Trees aren't pencils here, they grow to regular 2-3ft thick if left alone for some years.

10. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    If it weren't so far away from you I would say go for the Unimog, They were an unstoppable truck. The shipping would kill you!!!
  11. nate379

nate379 Guest

Auction went up too high on it so I'm not going to bother. I put a max bid of $5000 on it and it went over that quickly. It's at almost $7k now. After a 10% auction fee and having it hauled out to here, too much $$.
  12. Sorghum

Sorghum Member

Loc:
    south central Minnesota
  13. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Ah yes, Deutz-Allis. My teenage years are kinda fuzzy.
  14. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    There is no such thing as a cheap dozer.
    MasterMech likes this.
  15. nate379

nate379 Guest

Sure there is. Cheap is subjective of course. To some $100 is big bucks while others don't worry about spending $1000.

16. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Don't think I've ever seen a repair bill on a dozer that was under $1000. ;)

Make real sure that the undercarriage needs no work whatsoever. That's big $$ and so is transmission work.
  17. nate379

nate379 Guest

If you do the work yourself it's not too bad. Some of the parts are expensive, but the normal wear/tear items are usually reasonable for the smaller dozers. In any case the bids went too high and I didn't get it.
  18. How about a dynahoe d200-4? Like having a payloader, hoe and at 36k pounds a dozer all in one. Transportation costs might be a problem...

[​IMG]
  19. nate379

nate379 Guest

That's an interesting machine! What's the price on it and where does it live right now?
  20. 6500 Gray Maine

http://maine.craigslist.org/bfs/3743812514.html

1978 Dynahoe D200-4 Backhoe, 4 wheel drive, 471 Detroit Diesel, Allison Transmission, Rockwell Axes, 23' Backhoe, 2.25 yard front bucket, enclosed cab, rear steering. Starts and Runs but needs engine work to improve power. This is one of the biggest backhoe's ever made. Completed all of my work last year and it is to big for small yard work. Asking $6,500 or best offer, need to move this out of my yard. Call or text 207 615.8454
  21. It went for 14k
  22. nate379

nate379 Guest

Exactly. I can buy a D4 or 5 for under that and not have had to find parts.

23. loadstarken

loadstarken Member

Loc:
    Redmond, WA
    It would suck to clear land with one and it would take forever!
    nate379 likes this.