Anyone have experience with spitfire fireplace tubes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
As much as I would like to stop sending money up the fireplace, my wife enjoys the free standing fire and will continuously feed my carefully split, stacked, restacked, 2-3 year old cherished mixed hardwoods into the heatsucker5000 that is my fireplace. I showed her some pictures of inserts that have great visibility, no go.

So Im considering this

Seems a bit pricey for what it is. I almost feel like I could manufacture this myself if I had a few more tools, or as a local machine shop. The fan is easy enough to replicate. But Im curious how much heat this might actually reclaim.

As much as I would like to stop sending money up the fireplace, my wife enjoys the free standing fire and will continuously feed my carefully split, stacked, restacked, 2-3 year old cherished mixed hardwoods into the heatsucker5000 that is my fireplace. I showed her some pictures of inserts that have great visibility, no go.

So Im considering this

Seems a bit pricey for what it is. I almost feel like I could manufacture this myself if I had a few more tools, or as a local machine shop. The fan is easy enough to replicate. But Im curious how much heat this might actually reclaim.
They are an overpriced gimmick that does almost nothing

You might win her over better with something that looks more attractive like a Hampton Hi500 or a PE Alderlea T5 if either would fit.