Anyone hear of Marketing & Manufacturing Hardwood Blend pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have them but haven't burned them yet. Supplier told me they were Maine Woods packaged by M and M ltd..

Attachments

• Img_3517_2.jpg
    Img_3517_2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 618
Gave two bags to my brother-in-law, they clogged up his auger. Brand new Lopi Leyden.

I opened a bag and they look like crap, all broken up, dust, small crap etc... Opened a 2nd, same thing. This is not looking good, I have 3 tons of these. Maybe I can sift them.

More than likely your problem was caused by bad storage. This can happen at the mill, distributor, retailer, and/or when they got to your house. Pellets have to be stored indoors no matter how well they are wrapped. Moisture breaks down the density of pellets. That will cause the auger to jam and in an extreme case a hopper fire.

Eric

Not moisture or storage. This is a brand new plant just online. Mine traveled 40 miles shrink wrapped and were all broken up. Even the longer ones just crumble when you touch them. Having said that.... I burned a bag of Summers heat from Walmart just to try. They were uniform and solid but were much dirtier than the Maine woods. Clinkers everywhere and dirty glass. So as I said in another thread, as long as they burn clean and well, can't worry too much about the size.

Mine are burning, though not clean. Tons of ash and firepot getting buildup after 6 hours or so. I'm sifting them a bit first with a 5 gal plastic bucket that i drilled a bunch of holes in bottom. But they just break up when I shake them too hard. Whatever, I have them and that's my fault. Chalk it up to newbie ignorance and move forward. Next year I'll get something like Lignetics.

Yeah I'm burning them now. Until the hopper is empty of the Lignetics I had in there it won't be 100% Maine Woods pellets, but I mixed the two as best I could in the hooper with my hands.

These ( Maine Woods ) definitly burn hotter than the Lignetics. I can feel the hotter air and there's no doubt about it.

Lots more fly-ash and the pellets are smaller, some very small.

I'm a newbie but all this evidence tells me these are soft(er) wood pellets.

They break up easier and burn hotter.

No problems so far so I'll go throught my 1 ton of Maine Wooeds and then get beck to burning my 2 tons of Lignetics.

FG.

richkorn said:
Mine are burning, though not clean. Tons of ash and firepot getting buildup after 6 hours or so. I'm sifting them a bit first with a 5 gal plastic bucket that i drilled a bunch of holes in bottom. But they just break up when I shake them too hard. Whatever, I have them and that's my fault. Chalk it up to newbie ignorance and move forward. Next year I'll get something like Lignetics.

Are all the Maine Woods packaged in the M and M Ltd. white bags??

Was wondering if there's a different batch of these coming direct from the factory.

There is no guarantee that the mill is not storing them outside. I know this has happened and is current practice at a few mills.

Eric

I burned these last night and they did burn ok but they produced a lot of fly-ash and a lot more ash in the pan this morning.

My stove ( Big E ) had no problem feeding them, no auger troubles, but because they are small they did bounce around and some bounced out of the burnpot once they hit it. Much more so than the Lignetics did.

They are smaller ( some like kernels ) and softer than Lignetics.

I did notice it seemed they produced more heat.

Eric, you mentioned hopper fire yesterday. That's scary.

Can a hopper fire be caused by bad pellets? These Maine Woods pellets seem to feed and burn ok but like I said, alot of red-fly ash when new pellets drop in, and more ash.

Ever heard of a Big E having a hopper fire?

If so what was the cause?

Thanks,

FG.

kinsman stoves said:
There is no guarantee that the mill is not storing them outside. I know this has happened and is current practice at a few mills.

Eric

A hopper fire is very rare but can happen.

Eric

After I read your post about it, and after watching that red ash flying around in the firebox last night I started thinking:

Hmmm, can that red fly-ash get up into that hole where the pellets drop from?

Made me a little paranoid.

Thanks Eric,

FG.

kinsman stoves said:

Eric

richkorn said:
Are all the Maine Woods packaged in the M and M Ltd. white bags??
nope, I bought 3 tons from Dysarts in Bangor Maine and dont think they are packaged in M and M Ltd bags. It has been a while, but I think they do say Maine Woods and have Athens Maine on the bag

flamegrabber said:
After I read your post about it, and after watching that red ash flying around in the firebox last night I started thinking:

Hmmm, can that red fly-ash get up into that hole where the pellets drop from?

Made me a little paranoid.

Thanks Eric,

FG.

kinsman stoves said:

Eric

I wouldn't think there'd be enough BTU's is a single ember to ignite a pellets in a hopper. Not enough heat, not enough air. Now should there be a direct flame or an intense stream of heat (sort of like what happened to the space shuttle a couple of years ago), ya, you could have problems.

Buyer beware. If you can find other brands buy them. These are the worst I have ever purchased and I am not new to this game.

As a follow up. These have clogged up my auger twice already (both yesterday). The second time was around 1AM last night, I just happened to wake up to check stove. It took a good 2 hours total time to unclear all the crap that got packed up into the auger assembly. These burn horribly dirty and low heat also.

I contacted the dealer and he will be accepting these back from me for a refund (minus 5 bags that got burnt or wasted). He would offer a swap to something like Lignetics but he doesn't have anything in stock right now. Will use 3-4 pickups to bring them back and re-stack in his warehouse. He said he'll return them as well.

This dealer has been very good, but unfortunately affected by the pellet shortage in my area. I do recommend him though if pellets are in supply:

Jeff at Eastern Ct Pellets in N. Franklin, CT (www.pelletsdelivered.com).

If I can't get any from him, does anyone know if Tractor Supply Stores are still accepting orders for Pellets (In CT anyway)? Closest to me is Griswold, CT

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.