1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Anyone know about the Dremel chainsaw kit?

Post in 'The Gear' started by biggins08, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggins08

biggins08 New Member

Loc:
    Springfield MA
    Is this compatible with the Dremel 10.8v cordless model?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cbrodsky

cbrodsky Member

Loc:
    Millbrook, NY
    For Valentine's day, my wife got me the little mini Dremel kit that just has a metal plate guide that screws onto the end of the dremel along with a cylindrical file bit.

I used it for the first time today - it is AWESOME. So much easier than hand filing, and a much nicer result - it is very easy to get a nice consistent angle across the blades and the teeth were definitely much sharper than I could get with a file. She said it was remarkably cheap too - not a lot to it, but it does the job well.

It also came with a depth gauge and good directions. For the first time, I filed those down to spec since using the chain a while - that made a HUGE difference in cutting speed with much larger shavings coming off the cuts. I now realize that I need to find my last chain and file it using this kit - it'll probably make it useful again.

-Colin

ps - don't know about a cordless... I have a plug-in model
  3. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

I don't have a cordless one, but plug in. For me, it works quite well, getting a consistant angle and sharpening. Still those used to the hand filing is it better that is debatiable?
    For the novice that has had little luck with hand filing this is a good way to go. Its so easy a caveman can produce a sharp chain.

Some are 12 volt made to clip onto you car Battery Again I do not know about the crodless ones
  4. biggins08

biggins08 New Member

Loc:
    Springfield MA
    Got the 10.8 v cordless and the Chainsaw Kit. Works great!
  5. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    I got the cheap oregon clip on sharpener for my tractor when I am in the wood cutting. They are pretty precise if set properly. I have used the dremel's version and its the same thing. I hand file and I have the Oregon, and both are good. Also the cheap chain grinders from Harbor Freight aren't too bad. For 40 bucks, it works pretty good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.