Anyone know how to contact jotul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Hearth Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
Can't find a direct number. Maybe I'm blind or do I have to go through a dealer.

I'm determined to find out why the Nordic 100 and the Castine 400 only require non combustible flooring with no R values, while the F3CB requires non combustible with an R value of 1.1 even with it's heat shield in place. It doesn't makes sense to me, and I'm just wondering if it's complacency on their part in updating the manual or something.
It certainly would make less work for me on my new hearth if I can get clarification on this.

Sooooo......I need to get in touch with them.

Good luck with that. Most likely it will come down to a matter of what configuration the stove was certified to be installed with. Why one configuration vs another who knows - perhaps the certification standards changed from the time one stove model was submitted to the time that another was. Until/unless they feel it is worth the cost (which is likely significant) of re-submitting for certification for a lesser hearth requirement - i.e. it will increase sales overall (not just that model) - they likely won't bother. I seriously doubt you will discover that it is an oversight in printing or updating the manual.

When they fired the crap out of the stove at Warnock Hersey's lab that is what it took to meet UL clearance standards. The F3 CB manual won't be changing until the stove design changes and it is retested. Which will be something like the twelfth of never.

The book for your stove is the book for your stove. Ain't nothin' gonna change them numbers. Rick

The Castine requires floor protection with r=2.0 without the bottom heat shield....

Go Here:

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 400 Castine/Manual_F_400_USA_P02_150508.pdf

The Nordic QT requires ANY UL, ULC or WH listed hearth board without the bottom heat shield...

Go here:

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 100 Nordic QT/Manual_F_100_USA_P03_090608.pdf

If you HAVE the bottom heat shield on either one, I admit the interpretation of the requirements is a little unclear...

So, I'd say if you have a bottom heat shield, you'd almost have to buy a hearth pad from AJ or Hearth Classics in order to meet the UL & other listings.

All of the specs apply ESPECIALLY if you're having the installation inspected by a fire marshall or building inspector...

As an aside to that statement, how many homes have you read about burning down because of a non-compliant hearth pad?

You can try to find your regional Jotul rep by going here:

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Dealers/

Contact a dealer & they should be able to tell you who that person might be & how to reach him. From my experience with our rep, tho,
he prefers to get info from the dealers on issues such as yours...If it's a BIG problem, our rep will ask for the customer's phone # & call them back.

HTH

I've read all the manual requirements for the 3 of them. And I understand what they require. I also understand about re certifying costs etc...

It seems to me that the 3 series came out a while before either the Nordic or the Castine and was certified at that time, but I can't help but believe that they are all made the same way. And the original 3 series stoves have probably evolved in becoming the F3 CB be virtually the same as the other two but in a different size. This is pure speculation, but it seems only logical.

And I have absolutely no idea how many homes have ever been damaged from an improper hearth. I'll do it gladly if I have to but would really love to not cut into my herringbone oak floors.

I know it's a desperate hunt but I just gotta know:)

You already know every thing you will ever know about it. If it is any consolation the floor under my F3 CB is usually cold as a stone. Which does not mean one thing to an inspector or insurance company.

The unavailability of a company phone number in north america is the main reason I stopped looking at Jodul as one of my two top choices for a stove. I shared your frustration for two months before abandoning my interest in the Jodul brand.

Did you check with the Jotul dealer??

John_M said:
The unavailability of a company phone number in north america is the main reason I stopped looking at Jodul as one of my two top choices for a stove. I shared your frustration for two months before abandoning my interest in the Jodul brand.

lol. let me guess, your burning a woodstock. None of the major manufactures post there numbers. They want you to call the dealer, not them. If they have too many consumer calls, they would be spending there time justifying why they have a certain r value to a consumer, instead of helping a dealer who is calling with the exact same question you are. The manufactures are the dealers customer. You are the dealers customer, not the manufacture. Manufactures will not help you, your dealer is responsible for that. Also its spelled Jotul.

MountainStoveGuy said:
The manufactures are the dealers customer.

Don't you wish. :lol:

lol BB. i should say.. thats the manufactures take on it. Not true for all of em. Mike will tell you that, but the ones you find in specialty shops consider the shop there customer.

MSG, I am not burning a Woodstock but I believe it is an excellent stove with an excellent company reputation. The Jotul stove and company also share that reputation for excellence, in my opinion.

I am compelled to thank you for reminding me of the correct spelling of the great company, Jotul. Others will notice I have successfully resisted the temptation to correct your use of homonyms and the possessive form of nouns.

In terms of what is going on in the world today, how I spell Jotul, how you use homonyms and possessives, and why I did or did not purchase a Jotul stove are of insignificant consequence. There really are more important subjects needing attention. This is the last I will say on this matter. Have a good day and profitable year.

Good health and best wishes,

John_M

I thought all Castine's made since they went to the single door had the bottom heat shield factory installed, thereby allowing the 0=R value. I may be misinformed though?

oconnor said:
To answer the question - the phone number is in the manual - likely near the last pages. Download the manual for the C450 - I know it is in there.

What is in there is:

Jøtul AS
P.o. box 1411
N-1602 Fredrikstad,
Norway

John_M said:
MSG, I am not burning a Woodstock but I believe it is an excellent stove with an excellent company reputation. The Jotul stove and company also share that reputation for excellence, in my opinion.

I am compelled to thank you for reminding me of the correct spelling of the great company, Jotul. Others will notice I have successfully resisted the temptation to correct your use of homonyms and the possessive form of nouns.

In terms of what is going on in the world today, how I spell Jotul, how you use homonyms and possessives, and why I did or did not purchase a Jotul stove are of insignificant consequence. There really are more important subjects needing attention. This is the last I will say on this matter. Have a good day and profitable year.

Good health and best wishes,

John_M

John, sorry if my post sounded a bit "short". I need to remember to not drink and post.

For what it is worth Jotul North America's address and phone number is:

Gorham, ME 04038 United States
(207)591-6601,(207)591-6623 fax

BrotherBart said:
oconnor said:
To answer the question - the phone number is in the manual - likely near the last pages. Download the manual for the C450 - I know it is in there.

What is in there is:

Jøtul AS
P.o. box 1411
N-1602 Fredrikstad,
Norway

Content from the C450 manual posted above.

oconnor said:
BrotherBart said:
oconnor said:

What is in there is:

Jøtul AS
P.o. box 1411
N-1602 Fredrikstad,
Norway

Content from the C450 manual posted above.

Very interesting. I zoomed right by that. :red:

The Castine ships with a bottom heat shield, it must be installed by the installers.

Retired Guy said:
The Castine ships with a bottom heat shield, it must be installed by the installers.

x2. Ours was in the crate when we opened it. I have yet to install it.

Well, it will probably come as no surprise that I haven't been able to get through to anyone at Jotul. The numbers are correct but apparently, unless you know a particular extension #, then you can't get a live person.

I'm gonna keep trying. Do any of you dealers out there have a direct extension # on hand? I'll be discrete as to my source.

Status
Not open for further replies.