Anyone know what kind of stove this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Me223656

Feb 14, 2014
Mid michigan
I put this stove in my garage not to long ago and i decided to tell my insurance about it. They wont insure me now because I installed it myself. Im shopping around now but they all want to know the brand model and serial. There is no tag anywhere on the stove. Please help if you can identify this stove

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 180
It's a Franklin style stove but who made it is a mystery to me. Could have been any number of companies who produced / sold this one.

In general, they are known as being hard to control and not very efficient (junk)

Also, garage installations (as you have found out sadly) don't generally fly unless it is for a shop where no gasoline or similar is stored then it may be permissible.

If it could legally be put somewhere, it would need big clearance to combustibles (36 inches most likely). Also, keeping it up off the floor 18 inches would help with the risk associated from vapors should something flammable ever be spilled in the area.

Your only chance for install of a unit with no UL listing would be if the insurance company would allow you to install it following NFPA 211 guidelines for a wood burning appliance (however this really doesn't work in this case because NFPA 211 doesn't allow for a wood stove to be installed in a garage).

I'm afraid you are in a sticky spot.

I had to search and search to find a company that would insure my house and cabin with stoves that didn't have UL tags, and these installations were in a concrete basement and a huge masonry fireplace.

pen

Reactions: tfdchief
Sears and Wards imported them by the thousands in the seventies during the oil crunch. US Stove Company came up with the design. It was my first wood stove and I wouldn't let one with a fire in it within two hundred yards of my house now. Burns out of control from the moment the match is struck.

Someone gave me a stove just like that a few years ago. I put it out in the detached garage and sat in front of it drinking beer on many chilly nights. Didn't put out a lot of heat, but it made fire. I often wondered how someone could have one of these things in their house and feel safe.

Yep, basically a fireplace with doors. Buddy of mine had one in a hunting cabin. It heated the place no problem. But never was sure whether I would wake up in the morning !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.