anyone know where to get a cheap draft meter???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a BACHARACH DRAFTRITE hand held draft meter of Ebay a few years back or under $100
A word about its use. you have to drill ,or punch a probe hole in your stack exhaust to use it You have to bring the stove, boiler, furnace, up to opperating Temp to get a correct reading. All other ones I know of, cost in the thousands for comprehensive analisis of stack temp exhaust gasses present,. and draft effeciencies,

lime4x4 said:
looking for a cheap draft meter to fine tune my coal stoker

Depends on where you live. If you have access to a plumbing/heat supply like FW Weeb (New England), or RE Michels (Mid-Atlantic), these might be the places.

Check eBay also. Search for:
magnehelic

or bacharach draft
(these is one new one for 144.)

I bought a magnehelic there for about 20 bucks! You have to make sure to get one that has a lower reading scale on it - shop aroundthe web for a new one to get the specs.
Although a magnehelic is a general purpose guage and not specifically for chimney draft, I don't see why it would not work. I used it to measure the effects of wind and chimney caps!

Seems like alot of people could benefit from one of these draft meters. I have seen many posts where people were fighting poor draft. You'd think more local hearth shop dealers would have meters, but many don't even know of any such animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.