1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Anyone regret buying a 2X Ton splitter or sell shortly after?

Post in 'The Gear' started by SIERRADMAX, Apr 4, 2013.

1. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Mine is fine. Starts on first or second pull after sitting all winter. I wouldn't sweat it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine

I think I'm on Year 3 or 4 with mine and no issues . . . I add StarTron to the fuel tank over the winter.

3. The auto idle annoys me more on my aerial lift. Engine is constantly going up and down every time I move my hand to activate a different cylinder (it's a z-style lift)
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    It's not bad if they are on a delay. Last one I used would idle down after 10-15 seconds or something. Enough time that you could back off the control and grab it or another again. This was a 60' boom diesel.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

If you were to run it electronically like that, I'd want a time delay. That would be a different animal rather than cycling the throttle for every ram stroke.
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That would generally limit him to a horizontal only machine. And I would want a log lift on one of those from the get-go. A hydraulic log lift of the spec sheet usually means a $6K machine unless you are building or retrofitting one. _g

I have tons of experience with B&S. Some of it good, some of it not so good. The engines I think you're looking at are generally good runners but don't have the longevity that the Subaru or Honda engines typically demonstrate. If you're shopping in the $2K neighborhood, you don't have to settle for a mid-range Briggs.

FWIW: I believe you can get a unit identical to my I & O shipped to your door for well under $2500.
  7. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I really like the Robin engine on my 30 Ton Harbor Freight splitter.
  8. SIERRADMAX

SIERRADMAX Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    RI
    Harbor freight scares me. It's been hit or miss with their tools. Although the reviews look decent, some complain about how hot the Hydraulic fluid gets. I like the price of the unit though and someone posted a coupon to get the 30 Ton splitter under $1300. For something Im going to own for a while, I'll stick with the brand named units.

I'm really starting to like the specs on the speeco units, especially their 28 Ton model. I caled their technical department to discuss the differences of the 25 Ton & 28 Ton, seeing how they use the same motor, same GPM pump & same cylinder. Rep. said the 25 Ton unit is built on a slightly less rugged platform and has a relief set at 3000 psi whereas the 28 Ton is built on a stronger platform and is set at 3500 psi. I also like how quickly their 4 way wedge is added/removed. It can be accomplished n seconds as opposed to several minutes like the northstar units.
  9. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I said I liked the Robin engine. Big bolt holding things together in the hydraulic cylinder was never tightened at the factory. The big problem though was the leaking from the tank; I finally had a guy weld it up and no leaks since. It's been working great for me. I use it mostly vertical but for horizontal I would recommend the cradle that the fellow on eBay sells.
  10. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    What Dennis said, We have the same MTD 20 ton, mine has a Tecumseh 5 HP. Just split 4 hours each of the last 2 days. I run mine less then have throttle. It's a fast as I need. I have done nothing to it other than engine oil in 10 years i have owned it. I am the second owner.

BTW 8 hours running and 2 tanks of gas. I think it holds less than a quart. It's real good on gas. Chain saw, backpack leef blower, weed wacker are real gas gullzers