Anyone running an Ashley/US Stove multi fuel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erok

Oct 31, 2013
Maine
On low setting it will run rich after 5-6 hours. I have been able to get the company to tell me how to program draft limit adjustments. It has helped but still goes rich over time.
Anyone chime in that has experience with this stove?
Model APC 1406
Thanks!

What type of venting do you have?

Absolutely
I have an Ashley\US Stove Model 6041 pellet stove. First off I am assuming that this a new install and the stove is new or has been thoroughly cleaned. Last year I started off by being quite frustrated at times until I got things dialed in. It could be the pellets that you are using, you could also try and set the feed rate to less than 2.00 PPH. I have made some small modifications to my stove that has made a difference in the stove as well. I want to stress that I am not recommending that you do this without consulting an expert!! With the disclaimer done I will explain. IMHO the biggest difference that I made to the stove was to seal the two ash dumps, there is one on each side of the burn pot. What I believe occurred was that it forced more air up through the burn pot, making for a more complete burn. If you remove the burn pot you will see a metal cap in the rear. US Stove recommends to either remove it altogether or drill four or five small holes in it and then replace it. (I removed mine). I had started a thread last year you can check it out here,

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/sealing-the-air-leaks-in-us-stove-6041-pictures-included.101761/

An outside air kit is never a bad idea as well. All in all after a half of the winter of tweaking and tuning I find myself quite happy with the stove. My biggest disappointment is that no matter what I have tried I can't keep the glass clean. :( Other than that it has kept my little cape over 70 all last winter while never having to go higher than number 3 except for short periods just to catch up. Maybe someday when I have a spare $4000.00 I'll get a beautiful Harman, but till then this "plain Jane" is keeping me quite comfortable.

If you need advice don't hesitate to yell, Gary

Absolutely Gary .... I am following in your exact footsteps....removed the cap, sealed the ash dumps, they are useless, gotta go in with a vac anyway. I am actually going up on my low feed rate to keep a better flame on low settings. Flame was nearly non-existent before on low. No doubt this stove throws major heat on higher settings. I have nearly 2200 square feet and it will keep it at 70 no problem on level 2 at 25 F outside. So yes I am in the tweaking phase. Doing adjustments every few hours to find a tolerable sweet spot. No doubt most of the run time will be on lower settings. I am running feed 2.8 and 280 draft on the low side at the moment and seems to be doing well. I monitor it like a hawk. Yes this is a new install in late august... First winter, and yes it is a 6041hf. Same stove. I realize the glass will get sooty over time, I am just anal and half the greatness is being to view it for pleasure and feedback on the burn! I appreciate your info and time!
Eric

Hmmmmm, now if I can just build a 90 degree vac attachment to get inside the back wall clean outs!! :);)
Also, I feel the burn pot agitator throws a lot at the glass. I try to keep its rotation minimum. I am running Okinagan platinum, some of the best money can buy. I have found that not running the agitator at can sometimes cause the pellets to pancake on the bottom of the burn pot , depending on moisture, therefore blocking airflow. I see it's purpose, given the burn pot design.

Last edited:
Dirty glass is almost unavoidable… you need to wipe it down everyday especially when burning on low….

Status
Not open for further replies.