Anyone Sell Used Pellet Stove Parts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benmacneil

Sep 23, 2008
Brooklyn, CT
I need a circuit board for an Old Vermont Castings Reliance 2220 Pellet Stove.

This stove is no longer in production, but someone has to have parts laying around.

Please help.

Thanks, Ben.

Sorry I don't know of any used or rebuilt boards. I bet some one into electronics could profit by selling rebuilt boards. As an example I have a couple of small chinese made machine tools. Milling machine and 7x12 mini lathe. These have control boards that are rather pricey. A fellow on the internet saw the need. Now you can send him your old board in and he'll send you a rebuilt, better than original for a good value.

rap69ri said:
This site may be able to get your part for you. I have never dealt with them so I have no idea how they are to deal with.

http://www.stovepartsplus.com/

Pretty cool....amazing what you can find in the internet!!! And they DO have a listing for his stove and a parts list, including the control board!!!

Thanks for the responses.

I called stovepartsplus.com and the board (if available) is $600. I bought the stove for $700. -Serves me right to buy a used stove!!

So, I'm going to hold out until I can get my hands on a used board.

If anyone has a Vermont Castings Reliant 2220 and would like to sell the board and burn pot to me, please let me know!

Thanks Again,
Ben

I guess it comes down to weighing the pros and cons of the stove to figure out if it is in fact worth the investment. Even at $1300 it's less than a majority of stoves on the market.

Ben Macneil said:
Thanks for the responses.

I called stovepartsplus.com and the board (if available) is $600. I bought the stove for $700. -Serves me right to buy a used stove!!

So, I'm going to hold out until I can get my hands on a used board.

If anyone has a Vermont Castings Reliant 2220 and would like to sell the board and burn pot to me, please let me know!

Thanks Again,
Ben

Check around town for a good electronics technician who might be able to spot a faulty part on the board. He would have the equipment to check the values of most components on the board.
It might be worth a try.

Gio said:
Check around town for a good electronics technician who might be able to spot a faulty part on the board. He would have the equipment to check the values of most components on the board.
It might be worth a try.
Or check the local community college electronics program to see if there's a student or a prof looking for a project.

Ben Macneil said:
Hi Bostonbaked.

Can your provide contact information for your contact that can replicate these circuit boards?

thanks!
Ben.
I have no way to know if he can fix your stove board but it's worth a try. He is not a stove guy as I stated, he repairs boards for machine tools. Milling machines, lathes and the like. But I'm sure they are not that different from his point of view. Maybe you will be giving him a new sideline. Here's the link to his site see what he says and be sure to let us know. http://www.unclerabid.com/

I think I have a bad board component on my new-used vermont reliance 2430.

I'll post some info here for the next victim.

I wonder if that part is still available at stoveparts+. Not that it matters much, I will not pay $600 for it. I only traded a $100 pistol for the whole mess.

It didn't work when I got it home. Had a big ol rats nest in the open face shelf housing the mother board. A perfect mouse house. I pulled the board, air cleaned it, cleared out any more nest and wiped away the urine and feces w/an alcohol moist toothbrush.

Next I went thru the unit and chiseled creosole, vacc'd everything inside, oiled it by the book and sho-nuff it worked fine. Well it worked fine I think, I really wouldn't know. Is the double wall 3" supposed to get too hot too touch? Wish I had done a better job piercing the roof and checking clearances. I know this thing is inefficient but damn...

A year later today I started it up and the auger won't spin. I bypassed the board and jumped it with one of the dist fan power leads and it cranks just fine.

In fact I tried to just hook it permanently to one of the 2 dist fans. Thought was that one distrubition fan would operate in synch w/the auger feed rate, not a bad deal. This would disable a dist fan but its in a small room so I never used them anyway to save power. it works fine at first but it eventually overfires and trips the thermal limit or whatever is in there. I think I see a thermocouple also. I have to set it at half way to even engage the auger which much be too much juice.

What is in the side of the exhaust case?? A thermocouple and a ______?

I considered bypassing things and using a toggle but now I'm thinking that may skirt too many safety devices. After the hot pipes and kicken off I'm concerned.

And just for the record the inside of this thing is always filthy. Thing catches everything like a funneled dustpan.Its full of pet hair, dirt, dust, pellet particulates, and maybe some fly ash. This board will never be safe unless you encapsulate it in something to protect it.

http://www.stovepartsplus.com/Merchant5/PDFFILES/VC-PDFS/VC-REL-PLT-PDF/VC-REL-PLT-2340.pdf

I think I can send this board off to get it repaired for $65 to $150. A board schematic will lower the cost but I don't think that'll be in the O-manual.

TBC

Attachments

• exhaust 2340 vermont reliance.jpg
    exhaust 2340 vermont reliance.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,107
I'm still looking for a circuit board for an Old Vermont Castings Reliance 2220 Pellet Stove.

If you have any sucess with repairing your board, could you let me know?

I'm not buying pellets this year, oil is cheap enough, but I still have this stove setup in my den ready for repair.

Thanks,
Ben

I have electronics training.....and very seldom do boards just break and 99 percent of all failures are mechanical related somehow. or for instance ,bad mechanical part equals blown fuse...etc. Just so you know.

Ben Macneil said:
I need a circuit board for an Old Vermont Castings Reliance 2220 Pellet Stove.

This stove is no longer in production, but someone has to have parts laying around.

Please help.

Thanks, Ben.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/member/14975/

Try Pellet Contol Board Repair Man. He is a member on this forum and also lists repairs on E-bay. Last time I saw his ad he was charging $84 once you sent him your board. He has redesigned boards for Breckwells and I don't know why he couldn't help you out.

Good luck.

Bkins

Ben Macneil said:
I'm still looking for a circuit board for an Old Vermont Castings Reliance 2220 Pellet Stove.

If you have any sucess with repairing your board, could you let me know?

I'm not buying pellets this year, oil is cheap enough, but I still have this stove setup in my den ready for repair.

Thanks,
Ben

Absolutely Ben. I have every intention of getting this thing functional again. This is a great site that's already helped me aot. I'll definately try to help out others as much as I have been aided!

Just for the record I am now officially a wood stove guy. Zero electricity and primitive parts is more my lowbrow style :p Like you this isn't my primary heat source and after this it never will be.

TBC

"and very seldom do boards just break "

Really? I had the opposite experience. Electrical compnents can wear out imo, I worked with coleman and nordyne gas forced air downflow furnaces in mnftd homes. Now I'm not a tech so to speak, more of a maintenance guy in all honesty. We replaced boards like crazy and the units would be fine for several yrs thereafter.

Alot of the boards looked like new and came from nice protected boxes. No rhyme or reason as to failure and i'm talking about a 15+yr span. Sure something probably caused it more than I know but it was so small or trivial that after replacing a board it never reoccured. Crap, tons of the boards were bad out of the box, so go figure. I think they were just cheap. Not arguing, I just have a completley different take on the topic.

These days i always buy the extended warranty.

And besides, everything mech "appears" to work fine if I bypass the board. I would have figured the rats nest woulda messed things up. Until I fix it I have no idea what's going on.

@Bkins= That's cool. If my resources don't work out I'll hit "board repairman" up for some help. I would do it right this very instant but he's in Canada and my last 2 Ebay international orders went South, so I'm a bit gunshy still or out of country transactions.

I've got an email into this guy http://www.baytronltd.com/

Good or bad I'll post it here for the next person

I have a Vermont Casting Reliance 2340 pellet stove. I have the combustion motor, the distribution fans, and the control board. All of these work. If interested, let me know.

I had a tv stop working once. Just a thin white line across the screen. Repair man fixed it in 20 minutes. He said it was typical for the solder joints to go "cold" (the term he used). He just touched them with a soldering iron to fix it. Not that this is your problem, but it's worth a shot before spending the cash, and it's really easy.
Mike -

Dr_Drum said:
I had a tv stop working once. Just a thin white line across the screen. Repair man fixed it in 20 minutes. He said it was typical for the solder joints to go "cold" (the term he used). He just touched them with a soldering iron to fix it. Not that this is your problem, but it's worth a shot before spending the cash, and it's really easy.
Mike -

Really? That's intersting.

I have a super good TV repair guy in town. Nice guy and really cheap. I'll give him a buzz and make sure I'm not missing an easy fix.

I sent a pm to Chak, but I can't read the reply I thought I had in my inbox. I'll buy the replacment parts if I can wing it.

Even worse, my Lp furnace didn't fire up on its test run the other night and I suspect a cracked heat exchanger is involved.

Badluckville ...poulation...me.

i have sent these to the rebuilder with limited sucsess, half the time the charge me $50 and say its un fixable
get a new one now if you can, monessen probably will never make them again, and they never sold enough for aftermarket parts guys to start replicating...

Wood Heat Stoves said:
i have sent these to the rebuilder with limited sucsess, half the time the charge me $50 and say its un fixable
get a new one now if you can, monessen probably will never make them again, and they never sold enough for aftermarket parts guys to start replicating...

Ah crap.

Loud n Clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.