Anyone use a non-built in electric fan with their woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RI_FL_Line

Oct 12, 2022
Rhode Island
Previously I had a Jotul Kennebec insert with the built in fan. I replaced that with the Jotul F45 V2 which I’m happy with, however the fan on the insert did make a difference. I’m now using a small fan on my mantel as the Jotul fan add-on for the F45 is $800. Anyone doing something similar?

FD65AF18-9FC1-48EB-A000-CE09236DBAD2.jpeg

Yes. I have used two different one. First one was the cheapest quadrafire pellet convection blower. It was ok. Newest one is this air blaze. It’s much better and completely silent 3 ft way as speed 3 or lower.

I have a block off plate. If you don’t you need one. Blower or not.

The fan sit on the floor behind the stove and just blows up.

AC Infinity AIRBLAZE T10, Universal Fireplace Blower Fan Kit 10" with Temperature and Speed Controller, Compatible with Lennox, Hearth Glo, Majestic, Rotom Fireplaces, for Home Heat Circulation https://a.co/d/iDzlcQE

I think have the 12”. 14 is probably overkill and you could get buy just fine with the 10” for you everyday burning. The setting are useful but not perfect. Temp probe placement is important mine is at the top back back corner near the blockoff plate. I set it to about 105 -110F

Evan

Thanks, I wasn’t even aware these were available.
The wires are messy, but I’ve never been good as cable management. I use it 90% of the time and when it get really cold and in need to push my stove. I can lower the stove top temps by at least 50 degrees on medium. I was really glad to have a blower the one time I over fired it.

I've used small pancake fans that I bolted to the heat shield in the past. They work ok, but the squirrel cage fans work much better. Floor box fans also work.

I’m now using a small fan on my mantel as the Jotul fan add-on for the F45 is $800
:eek:_g That's crazy. I have a 4" blade VonHaus fan on my stove that moves a fair amount of air. Much more than the previous EcoFan. Unfortunately, it looks like the parent company stopped this line, but the VODA line on Amazon looks similar.

For a factory blower, shop around.

Reactions: Wildflush
We have a VODA 4 blade on our Vista and very surprised how well this moves air. Paid $38 back in Sept on Amazon. So far still working great.

Reactions: begreen
I'm running a 910-157/p fan. Regency wanted $500 for the fan kit (fan, housing, wiring/switch). Highway robbery and I refused to pay. I bought an aftermarket fan for $90 which had the wiring and thermo switch. Welded a piece of angle to it and bolted it up using factor holes in the heat shield. Works great and saved over $400.

I'm thinking of adding another and splitting the air up through the side heat shields.

The heat output with a fan (and airmate) are tremendous.

I also have the AC infinity air blaze fan. I put it in front of my fireplace. I put it in the cold and it blows the air and wow it’s the best. The best settings are the timer and the fact that you can choose settings from 1-10. And it’s quieter and more energy efficient.

Reactions: EbS-P
I also have the AC infinity air blaze fan. I put it in front of my fireplace. I put it in the cold and it blows the air and wow it’s the best. The best settings are the timer and the fact that you can choose settings from 1-10. And it’s quieter and more energy efficient.
Thanks for all the replies. I am not at all familiar with these fans. They don’t have to be bolted to the stove? They could just be plugged in and it can sit on the hearth under the stove?

Yes. I have used two different one. First one was the cheapest quadrafire pellet convection blower. It was ok. Newest one is this air blaze. It’s much better and completely silent 3 ft way as speed 3 or lower.

I have a block off plate. If you don’t you need one. Blower or not.

The fan sit on the floor behind the stove and just blows up.

AC Infinity AIRBLAZE T10, Universal Fireplace Blower Fan Kit 10" with Temperature and Speed Controller, Compatible with Lennox, Hearth Glo, Majestic, Rotom Fireplaces, for Home Heat Circulation https://a.co/d/iDzlcQE

I think have the 12”. 14 is probably overkill and you could get buy just fine with the 10” for you everyday burning. The setting are useful but not perfect. Temp probe placement is important mine is at the top back back corner near the blockoff plate. I set it to about 105 -110F

Evan
What is the block off plate you are referring to?

Thanks for all the replies. I am not at all familiar with these fans. They don’t have to be bolted to the stove? They could just be plugged in and it can sit on the hearth under the stove?
You could fabricate a mounting bracket
What is the block off plate you are referring to?
its a plate that air seals the old fireplace firebox around the liner. Keeps hot air from going up the old flue.

I have a stove sitting in my fireplace opening, my chimney liner goes up the existing 12" x 12" flue liner and is capped off at the top, there is no block off plate at the bottom and I do not get any cold down draft around it because it is blocked at the top, I have 2 of the cheap Amazon sold heat generated fans that sit on the back of my wood stove, they are angled slightly so the back of the fan faces the chimney stove pipe, they push off plenty of heat while not needling any electricity, So the power can go out and We still have fan forced hot air coming from our stove

I have a fan similar to the first one pictured. I do not like to remember to turn it off and on so I have a snap disc thermostat from a dryer screwed to the stove. When the stove surface passes 120 degrees the fan turns on. When it cools, the fan turns off. The fan sits out in front of the stove to blow air across the glass front (it is about the only spot on the stove that ever really radiates heat). It does help with room warmth.

I use a small Vornado 133DC set on the floor below the hearth, aimed at an angle to hit the glass door of my Jotul C550 Rockland insert. Speed usually set between 1/4 and 1/3, adds virtually no noise to the built-in blowers running full blast. This is my third full winter with the Jotul, my first with the Vornado, and I haven't had to turn on the FHA this winter (yet). 2200 sq ft Colonial on two floors, average insulation built in the early '70s.

I put mine a few feet away and angle it to blow just perfectly through the crack. You can figure out the best placement for your stove once you put it underneath. It would be wise to build a small box to support the fan, so you can grab it and move it around with out touching the moving parts or the cord wires. I like to keep it away from heat to protect its life. I also like to blow air from far away from the heat. Blowing cold air is more efficient.

:eek:_g That's crazy. I have a 4" blade VonHaus fan on my stove that moves a fair amount of air. Much more than the previous EcoFan. Unfortunately, it looks like the parent company stopped this line, but the VODA line on Amazon looks similar.

For a factory blower, shop around.
That fan you have “4" blade VonHaus fan.. does it really work, and does it speed up the heating process a lil faster ?

That fan you have “4" blade VonHaus fan.. does it really work, and does it speed up the heating process a lil faster ?
Yes, it moves a lot more air than the Caframo EcoFan it replaced. It's not as strong as the electric stove blower, but it will blow out a candle at about 18".

I've always just used a ceiling fan on reverse in the room the stoves in.