Anyone use a spray on exhaust fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curt-in-mass

Sep 17, 2011
western ma
My exhaust fan just started to act up...want to take off and lube/clean/spray it to try to get full season out of it..any suggestions on a spray that might be useful as a lube or are they sealed bearings?

One of my blowers has lube holes and one doesn't. I put Mobil 1 0W30 oil in an old 3-in-one can and put a drop in each hole two or three times a year. On the blower without lube holes, I removed the blower and drilled a small hole in the metal that the bushing sits in (At the top, obviously). I put a drop of oil in them. Because I can't easily get to one of the bushings when the blower is installed, I just hope it helps somewhat. My stove is 8 years old and still has the original blowers so it must be helping.

Reactions: curt-in-mass
Good suggestion on drilling hole,will try anything as almost $200 for new one on ebay...

One of my blowers has lube holes and one doesn't. I put Mobil 1 0W30 oil in an old 3-in-one can and put a drop in each hole two or three times a year. On the blower without lube holes, I removed the blower and drilled a small hole in the metal that the bushing sits in (At the top, obviously). I put a drop of oil in them. Because I can't easily get to one of the bushings when the blower is installed, I just hope it helps somewhat. My stove is 8 years old and still has the original blowers so it must be helping.

Reactions: ChandlerR
You might want to try to install a grease zerc. Bearings need grease, not oil. Also the zerc would keep dust and debris out

You might want to try to install a grease zerc. Bearings need grease, not oil. Also the zerc would keep dust and debris out

On my motors there is not enough room for a fitting on the front bushings. The rear ones may have room on the back side but I would wonder if the fitting would work with sheet metal. No tapping that. I agree that grease is better but oil is the stuff that can get in there. Now, show me a blower motor with ball or needle bearings and grease fittings and that would be a long lasting (and expensive) motor!

You can buy a needle nose oil container, and they make it with synthetic oil. 3 drops if you can. Even on the exposed back and let it sit for 10 min.

Thanks,thats what I did.Runs smoother and have a small heat distribution fan blowing on motor and its staying pretty cool.Should be good through the season.Found out motor was made specifically for my stove so have to hunt down a compatible motor...just hate to pay the $200 for a "pellet stove" motor.

You can buy a needle nose oil container, and they make it with synthetic oil. 3 drops if you can. Even on the exposed back and let it sit for 10 min.

What brand model stove ??

Thanks,thats what I did.Runs smoother and have a small heat distribution fan blowing on motor and its staying pretty cool.Should be good through the season.Found out motor was made specifically for my stove so have to hunt down a compatible motor...just hate to pay the $200 for a "pellet stove" motor.

There are shops that can repair these often making them better than new at less cost then replacement. A competent repair shop shouldn't be hard to find.

My room fan started making the intermittent noise of a dry bearing. First I tried drizzling oil at the bearing, let it sit, and hoped it would find its way in and make a difference. No difference. So I pulled it apart (mostly) and worked grease past the seals into the bearings with my fingertip and a Qtip end with the fuzz pulled off. World of difference.

Yes the full motor assemblies are very pricey. I'm looking at sourcing just the motors themselves for blower spares. The auger motor has a gearbox so I have a full motor assembly for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.