1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anyone use a "whip" when blocking

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by mainstation, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mainstation

mainstation Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.Ont.
    Ok, I'm bored today.
    When I first started cutting wood, my buddy put a whip on my saw because I was too inconsistent with the lengths. Anyone use a whip when cutting firewood. ??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I dont most of the wood I do is over 45 in rounds so I cut where i can.(if your not consistent it would be a good tool)
  3. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    I use a " trip whip ". :cheese: Wood advances on conveyor, hits trip whip (gate), stops conveyor and starts saw into cut simutaneously, wood falls ,resets whip and process starts over again. ;-)
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    you got any videos of that sounds cool?
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I use the distance from the side handle to bar tip when bucking out in the bush. When processing wood in the yard on skids, I use a measuring stick with notches on it. For smaller stuff, I use a sawbuck.
  6. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    I use the "aaaand that's about right...that's about right...that's about right...that's about right" method. Get's me close enough to what I need.
  7. Andre B.

Andre B. New Member

8. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Member

Loc:
    CT
    I've been thinking about making one. Looks to simple to buy one.
  9. Brian VT

Brian VT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern VT
  10. syd3006

syd3006 Member

Loc:
    Northwestern Ontario
    I am curious about what it is you are talking about, I'm not able to view the pics on Andre B's post. Anyone else have a pic or description?
  11. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    This stupid board strips out the %20 and puts in spaces. Just copy/paste the whole line.
  12. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I used a whip one day when the wife simply didn't want to work....
  14. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    The commercial whips I've seen go on the other side of the saw and look like they'd be more trouble than they're worth.

If you're into high tech gadgetry, you could mount two laser pointers and have them converge at the distance you want from the nose of the bar. Just don't use it near an airport.
  15. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    On the small stuff, I just eyeball it. When I get into anything ~12"+ diameter, I have a mark on the saw body, so I know that from the tip of the bar to the mark is the length I want to cut. Only takes about a second to flip the saw sideways, see where the marks fall, then flip it back to cutting position and let her rip.
  16. syd3006

syd3006 Member

Loc:
    Northwestern Ontario
  17. kwikrp

kwikrp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Mass
  18. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    I use a simple 17.5" "T" shaped piece of 1/2" PVC pipe left over from some plumbing and a grease pencil, I fell the tree, limb the tree then start at the base and go to marking with the grease pencil and "T". then I cut it on the marks, I don't feel it takes any longer than the "looks about right" method, and it is cheaper than the markers that take $5 a can marking paint, and it is not saw mounted so I can use any saw I have on the fly no switching things from one saw to the other.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You can also make something from scrap. For example you could have a 16" piece (or what length you want) of old moulding or something similar. Start at the butt, lay the marker down and just score a line at the end of the marker with an ax.

Do you have something longer? How about a 4' length notched at 16" and 32" and you can mark 3 cuts before moving the marker. Quick, easy and cheap.
  20. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I have an 80 inch long stick with notches every 20 inches. I lay out a dozen or so logs on skids, place the measure stick in the middle, and score marks across all the logs every 20 inches.
  21. Tree farmer

Tree farmer New Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    Not as cheap but I use surveyor paint (upside down can) and a precut stick the length of wood I would like and work my way down the log pile. Generally I can mark up to 3 or 4 logs on one pass down the pile then I run the saw full bore non stop, this has been the fastest and most consistent for me. It has a slight advantage over the lumber crayon in that you can squirt a spot in tight places. I have tried using a whip but I think it slows bucking down too much.
  22. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I like to buck at 16". I take a piece of scrap wood, like 2"x1/4" molding or whatever, about 36" long, mark it with a sharpie at 16", then use that as a guide to go along the length of the log and mark the log using a little 14" Fiskars hatchet. It goes quickly. I can mark a 20' log in no time. Then I just start bucking. Yes, sometimes I hit the stick with the hatchet, but not too often. When the stick's finally done dancin', it's kindling and I mark up a new one. Works for me. My cousin pooh-poohs my method, bucks by eye, and guess who comes out with the least variation in lengths of rounds? :coolsmirk:
  23. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    I'm happy if I'm anywhere between 16" and 18". I check against a mark on the bar every so often to see if I'm in range. I burn most of my wood, so it seems a waste to spend too much time measuring it. :coolsmirk:
  24. Ken45

Ken45 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern Ohio
    Except when it ends up a little too long for the stove and has to be recut :(
  25. Jamess67

Jamess67 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    If I hold a piece of sidewalk chalk like I hold a pencil, the distance from my elbow to the chalk tip is 16 inches. I just put my elbow in the line and make a mark, then on to the next mark.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.