Anyone using an electric chain saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just ordered the 40V Ryobi High Performance Chainsaw two days ago since it was 40% off on the site I shop. It claims 2.68hp, comes with a 5 year warranty.

My 12" 18v HP Ryobi was good enough this last firewood season as a limber that I needed more of the same thing before busting out the gas beast. My dad's already trying to buy it off me, but I simply don't wanna part with it. I did probably 60-70% of my firewood with my 18v Ryobi saw this last year. For being so tiny, it rips and I just continuously cycle 4 and 6ah drill batteries. It works pretty well.

The 40v HP gives me a great intermediate saw between my 12" limber and my monster 562XP.

I ordered the 18" bar model (which has a larger oil tank than the 16 and the cap is in a better location) but I intend to slap a 16" on it with a non-safety semi or full chisel simply to keep it more compact. More to come once it's here and rolling, but I don't expect to put it to heavy use until spring. I've hardly finished the 2022 firewood season and I'm already excited about this years. It's been a long time since I've truly been eager and excited about doing firewood.

Last edited:
That would be a cool vehicle to have in the woods for transporting firewood. Probably plenty of traction when it's full as shown.
This is what i use and it holds 1/2 a true cord.
Cost is around 1/3 of a side by side.It has a heater and a stereo.

22 load2.jpg

If you are using an electric saw remember to get better chaps,as an electric dosn't have a clutch and will power through cheap chaps without stopping.

Anyone using an electric chain saw? I own two gas saws, and I'm considering an Oregon CS1500 18-inch 15 Amp Self-Sharpening Corded Electric Chainsaw.
I like my makita 7 with 14" bar. The only reason I got a Makita was that I had Makita cordless tools. This is good for limbing, and smaller trees, and I do some bucking. I have a couple of stihls, a 311 and a 046. I like the non polluting aspect of it, quiet and doesn't use any of my expensive premium. It's too touchy with the kickback bar, and the spare batteries are so expensive, but I would buy it again. I like the short bar, because this one is not as powerful as either of my stihls, and less teeth to sharpen.

That looks like about half a face cord, is that right? I'm not sure what size that bed is.
I new that 1/2 face cord was about right, but I measured to be sure (it's the engineer in me). The box is 36" deep, so two rows of 18" pieces, my preferred length, fit perfectly. The box is 54" wide, 23" to the top of the side extensions. So, it works out to just over a face cord (1.08) if piled level to the top of the side extensions. The Ranger squats a bit, but it really does well with the load.

Yea, that's why I went corded. My DeWalt drill batteries are slowly giving out too. Drill is fine, but it's almost cheaper to buy a new package than the (old, 18 V with the battery pack with the big pin sticking out) new batteries.
The 18V dewalt batteries are not lithium, AFAIK. My 20V dewalt batteries have lasted years. One thing you can do is use an adapter to enable the modern 20V batteries to work on your older 18V tools.

Another thing about lithium batteries if they are too dead the charger will not charge them.
If that happens you have to boast the lithium battery with a charged battery to put a bit of charge in them so the charger will recognize it and charge it.

Another thing about lithium batteries if they are too dead the charger will not charge them.
If that happens you have to boast the lithium battery with a charged battery to put a bit of charge in them so the charger will recognize it and charge it.
All true. OTOH, it has never once happened to me with any of my various 20V or 56V lithium tool batteries.

Definitely can be the case with some tools, which is one of the reason I went with more of a mainstream brand with my saws. Ryobi for example makes like 6-7 different charger styles (some are multi port sequential chargers, some are fast chargers, some are dual chargers, etc) and from what I understand, one of the models is has "intellaport mode" that will resurrect an overly dead battery on its own without having to jump 'em. I'm not sure if there's a DeWalt equivalent, but I imagine Milwaukee likely has similar (if not the exact same charger but with a different port connection) considering both are owned by TTI. Ryobi and Milwaukee share dozens of tools that are identical with the exception of plastic color and battery connection.

I can't speak to the other brands, but for some of the smaller companies, I could certainly see this being a problem.

As for batteries being very expensive to replace, I've come to look at is you must pay for convenience, which I may be willing to do. Especially that I'm in the 'senior' category now. My main concern is the factory battery/charger no longer being available for purchase. That's what happened to a great Makita cordless drill I had years ago. Found a replacement online, ordered one and it was a waste of money, it would hardly hold a charge then couldn't be recharged. It was not a Makita replacement, just the same case with the corresponding batteries installed - not very good ones. So bad it seemed like they were used.

I got a chance to try the Ryobi high performance 40v finally.

I'm honestly shocked at this thing. Even with the stock safety chain, it cuts FAST. On par with my old 455 Rancher if I had to guess but with more torque.

It has a little over half the horsepower of my 562xp, but I feel like the torque is similar, which is commonly reported in a lot of electric motors. I can bog my 562 if I really try in deep hardwood, and so far haven't been able to bog this yet and admittedly tried, just to see what it was capable of. Full chisel chain is on the way, which will be the ultimate test on how well I can or can't bog it. Lol

Excellent limber and feels way lighter than the 562. I cut all these to 4' lengths, mostly cherry and oak on half a battery. Drains a little faster on bigger rounds, but very impressed. Used about 35-40% battery or so doing 8 cuts through 16" diameter pine using an older 2 year old lithium 40v battery. I imagine with oak, it'd drain faster and I only had one battery on me at the time.

The 562 is now officially just a big round and processing saw.

20230120_153053.jpg

Last edited:
All that on just half a battery is great. I've seen very good reviews for Ryobi products. Not sure if that's a minivan, but I was considering one. You actually may have fit more in there than a small or midsize pickup truck, such as my Toyota Tacoma especially considering the stacking height advantage of the minivan. I was looking at 10 year or so old AWD Toyota Siennas. There are a few out there. Chrysler/Dodge used to make an AWD minivan but they seem very rare. They ride well, get decent gas mileage and very space efficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: j7art2
All that on just half a battery is great. I've seen very good reviews for Ryobi products. Not sure if that's a minivan, but I was considering one. You actually may have fit more in there than a small or midsize pickup truck, such as my Toyota Tacoma especially considering the stacking height advantage of the minivan. I was looking at 10 year or so old AWD Toyota Siennas. There are a few out there. Chrysler/Dodge used to make an AWD minivan but they seem very rare. They ride well, get decent gas mileage and very space efficient.

Sure is. My dad's been using the last two mini vans he's had for firewood over the course of the last 10 years. He just recently upgraded his after retiring his old with 369k on it or something ridiculous.

In 2018 I totaled my Silverado and couldn't afford another truck with inflation, so I followed suit and took a chapter out of his book. This is year two for me after taking a small break with wood, and though its not quite as good as a truck, it works great for me. Mines an 03 Town and Country with 200k on it. Lol.

I'm hitting a MASSIVE honey hole at a neighbors about 2 miles away right now, and this was the day after. I had to do all this with the 562xp, but this is 18" diameter oak at the base, estimated to be about 150lbs (at 20" length, first cut was a little long) I just toss down a tarp and blow it out with the leaf blower when I'm done.

This is 3 rows deep at the bottom... Look ma! I'm a half ton pickup!

20230121_151029.jpg 20230121_155543.jpg 20230121_155737.jpg

Sure is. My dad's been using the last two mini vans he's had for firewood over the course of the last 10 years. He just recently upgraded his after retiring his old with 369k on it or something ridiculous....
That is cool. What vehicle did your dad have with 369k? Two years ago I had a 2003 Dodge Caravan for a company vehicle. I really liked that van. That company I worked for back then also had a 2005 Caravan until 305k miles, so something to be said for those 3.3 V6 engines. Maybe your Town & Country has the 3.8 V6. A few years ago I had a Honda Pilot, used it a few times to transport wood and pallets. That, like the Chrysler minivans had 48" between the wheel wells like a full size truck, But, capacity was much more limited than a minivan, Ended up trading that in for an older Silverado which I still have. My daily driver it a 2007 Toyota Tacoma with plans to sell the Silverado when I retire, but it's a standard cab with an 8' bed., so I don't know. Nice with the T&C you've got a 4x8 floor. Definitely more space than my Tacoma. If I had to part with that I'd definitely consider something like you have.

Those larger rounds weren't cut with the Ryobi, were they? Yea they look pretty heavy.

That is cool. What vehicle did your dad have with 369k? Two years ago I had a 2003 Dodge Caravan for a company vehicle. I really liked that van. That company I worked for back then also had a 2005 Caravan until 305k miles, so something to be said for those 3.3 V6 engines. Maybe your Town & Country has the 3.8 V6. A few years ago I had a Honda Pilot, used it a few times to transport wood and pallets. That, like the Chrysler minivans had 48" between the wheel wells like a full size truck, But, capacity was much more limited than a minivan, Ended up trading that in for an older Silverado which I still have. My daily driver it a 2007 Toyota Tacoma with plans to sell the Silverado when I retire, but it's a standard cab with an 8' bed., so I don't know. Nice with the T&C you've got a 4x8 floor. Definitely more space than my Tacoma. If I had to part with that I'd definitely consider something like you have.

Those larger rounds weren't cut with the Ryobi, were they? Yea they look pretty heavy.

My dad commuted an hour to work every day a good majority of his life, and during that time had 3 of the same era (2002-2007) Chrysler T&C's during that time (One was a Dodge Caravan, but same vehicle). All of them made it to 350k or more before he sold them. He's been tossing firewood in the back like this for as long as I can remember. I estimated 10 years initially, but it's been lots longer than that I guess now that I really think about it. I know in 08, they changed a lot of things, and my dad currently now has a 2010. It's been plagued with brake and transmission line problems. We've got 3 in the 2008-2011 era in our work fleet, and all 3 of them have had a replacement transmission, one has been replaced twice now.

Mine's an 03, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another in the same year range, but living deep in the salt belt, they're getting harder and harder to find with low miles and minimal rust on them. After I totaled my Silverado, I happened to find this one with 87k on it for $1000 (in 2018). Ironically with the cost of inflation and market prices, it's probably worth the same amount now and it just rolled over 190k this morning; edging to the big 200 here soon as I do a 45 minute commute myself.

Those big ones weren't cut with the Ryobi sadly; so i apologize for derailing slightly, just showing how I utilize the van for wood. I'm sure the Ryobi COULD do it, but I'm waiting on my full chisel chain to come before trying hardwood rounds like this. I've got a dead oak in the back of my property near the neighbors house about this size, and I haven't used my 562 on it solely because it's only a few hundred yards from his house and I don't wanna be "that guy". That was one of the driving factors to get the Ryobi, that's a ton of wood I don't want to go to waste. The chain was supposed to come the 18th, now being delayed via mail so I still haven't gotten it. The biggest one I've tried so far with the stock safety chain was a 16" diameter pine and it did excellent in that. I was using an older Ryobi lithium battery for that test which is admittedly not nearly as good as the newer technology/material ones that my other 2 are, but still got 8 cuts on the 16" pine with about 60% battery remaining after the fact. Initially it showed I used 50%, but once the battery cooled down a bit, I got another "bar" back on the indicator. It did pretty well there. In oak like this, I wouldn't expect to get more than about 8-10 cuts on a full battery. In comparison, I used 2 tanks of gas on the 562. I've got 3 batteries in total and they're easy to transport for the most part. Realistically speaking, if I were to drain all 3 on rounds that size and haul them outta the woods, I'm outta gas myself after that kinda work, so if I've gotta wait for them to recharge, that's fine -- I'm in need of a recharge too. And maybe a chiropractor appointment. ;lol

My dad commuted an hour to work every day a good majority of his life, and during that time had 3 of the same era (2002-2007) Chrysler T&C's during that time (One was a Dodge Caravan, but same vehicle). All of them made it to 350k or more before he sold them. He's been tossing firewood in the back like this for as long as I can remember. I estimated 10 years initially, but it's been lots longer than that I guess now that I really think about it. I know in 08, they changed a lot of things, and my dad currently now has a 2010. It's been plagued with brake and transmission line problems. We've got 3 in the 2008-2011 era in our work fleet, and all 3 of them have had a replacement transmission, one has been replaced twice now.....
Interesting re: transmission trouble - that has returned. The 1987 Grand Voyager and 1996 Grand Caravan I owned had transmission trouble, a somewhat common thing in that era. Getting over 300k on several the older ones is respectable! And finding one for only $1,000 with under 100k miles would be unheard of in these parts!

I'm glad you showed the van full of firewood - confirms I'm not the only one considering such a concept! I actually derailed the thread talking about minivans. I looked online for the heck of it and as you said there's not many for sale, at especially with low miles. But what was very surprising is how inexpensive the Dodge Caravans are with low mileage. Maybe because of the transmission/brake line situations.

As for the Ryobi saw - it would be interesting to see how it cuts with the full chisel chain. I guess spare battery is essential for a moderate amount of cutting. Agreed resting is part of the deal too. For both the saw and battery to cool down and us too. I haven't used a battery operated chainsaw long enough to know their characteristics. I returned the Greenworks 60v saw I had. Without maybe 2-3 minutes of cutting, it would run, then stop, then run again, stop etc. without releasing the run switch, Maybe it was going into some protection mode? It didn't seem hot though. All I wish for now is 2 weekend days without rain or snow! I've got some of the wood covered now because the trend hasn't been that way.

Reactions: j7art2
I have several old Stihl gas saws that are beasts, left over from the tree service I ran over 30 years ago (the ones that start with "0". not "MS". ;)). They still do the majority of my work but I finally picked up an electric DeWalt for the occasional small, light duty job around the house, especially on Sunday mornings. Like all battery tools, they've come a long way and some types, like circular and chainsaws, have finally become more practical. I work for a county park department, and a buddy of mine on the road department tree crew keeps the same saw in his pickup. It doesn't stink up the cab with gas, and if he encounters a tree blocking the road in his travels he can usually clear the road with just that saw. If his crew is heading out for a job, they naturally bring out the gas saws. The electrics aren't replacing their gas saws, they are complimenting them.

I have several old Stihl gas saws that are beasts, left over from the tree service I ran over 30 years ago (the ones that start with "0". not "MS". ;)). They still do the majority of my work but I finally picked up an electric DeWalt for the occasional small, light duty job around the house, especially on Sunday mornings. Like all battery tools, they've come a long way and some types, like circular and chainsaws, have finally become more practical. I work for a county park department, and a buddy of mine on the road department tree crew keeps the same saw in his pickup. It doesn't stink up the cab with gas, and if he encounters a tree blocking the road in his travels he can usually clear the road with just that saw. If his crew is heading out for a job, they naturally bring out the gas saws. The electrics aren't replacing their gas saws, they are complimenting them.
Those old Stihl chainsaws still sound amazing. Sometimes I'll see a very large branch or small fallen tree on the side of the road, I wished at the time I had a battery chainsaw on hand just to quickly cut it to fit in the truck. True, gas chainsaws are the best, but now it seems electric saws are a considerable compliment to them.

I agree as well that an electric saw is great to have with you in a pinch and no I don’t want gas and oil in the cab of my pickup. I am looking at the Ego but they disappointed me with the snow shovel as it really cannot handle the snow we are getting now.

I can tell you what you don't want is a Remington corded 16". That is what I have and it doesn't have the juice to drive 16". I think I just about killed it today making about 4 cuts into a 14" cherry trunk. And I just sharpened the blade yesterday. I am thinking of getting the Dewalt 60v. Sounds like they come from the Dept. of Not F'ing Around.

I can tell you what you don't want is a Remington corded 16". That is what I have and it doesn't have the juice to drive 16". I think I just about killed it today making about 4 cuts into a 14" cherry trunk. And I just sharpened the blade yesterday. I am thinking of getting the Dewalt 60v. Sounds like they come from the Dept. of Not F'ing Around.
My 16” EGO 56V chainsaw goes through pretty much anything as long as the chain is sharp. I would never go back to gas again (I’m not a pro)

The only time I use an electric saw is when I want to buck some branches/poles in the yard. It's quiet so one person can hold the pole and the other can cut it.