Anyone using the RapidFire log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwright

Oct 6, 2011
Little Rock, AR
Saw this the other day and thinking about it. Did a search here and didn't find any posting.

Only drawback I could see is that I use 24" and up lengths, and with large trees that'd be pretty heavy putting on the table. A hydraulic you can angle down allows you to slide a large piece over and hack away at it easily without lifting.

http://www.drpower.com/standardcontent.aspx?page=rapidfire_splitter_home

i question the longevity of this product, probably ok for splitting spruce and willow in 14 lengths not sure about hardwoods or nasty stuff like elm

If you can get the rounds to the table its going to be a very quick splitter.

i question the longevity of this product, probably ok for splitting spruce and willow in 14 lengths not sure about hardwoods or nasty stuff like elm

wouldn't work for me. i get mostly big-a$$ rounds so i'd have to noodle and split them just to hoist them on to the table. i need a vertical option. if you're splitting 14-16" rounds and smaller it'll probably do just fine.

The original version had a problem with the rack and the splitter was basically taken off of the market. Since then a fix has come out for the first run and the second run is supposed to have the problem figured out.

These are a Chinese knock off of the super splitter. The super splitter has a great reputation for reliability. Not much can be said yet about these.

The cycle speed is un-parralled when compared to hydraulics.

The original version had a problem with the rack and the splitter was basically taken off of the market. Since then a fix has come out for the first run and the second run is supposed to have the problem figured out.

These are a Chinese knock off of the super splitter. The super splitter has a great reputation for reliability. Not much can be said yet about these.

The cycle speed is un-parralled when compared to hydraulics.
Are you referring to the Tractor Supply model or the one the OP linked?

Are you referring to the Tractor Supply model or the one the OP linked?

Hmmm...you may be correct. I could be confusing the two.;em
I do remember that once the super splitter patent expired, clones started to pop up. I thought the DR also had issues, but I might be mistaken.

I just posted a simular question about these kinds of splitters.
Only reason I ask is after visiting a small firewood yard in my hometown and looked at their set up I was nicely surprised at the way they put things together.
They had a small processor for log length stuff and 45 degrees away they had a DR rapid fire handling the uglies and oversized stuff. They both used the same conveyor. They seem to go through about 10 cord a day with 2 guys. So before I go asking these guys any questions I wanted to ask here first.

There is also a bit of danger with that splitter that you don't have with hydraulics. They do split fast and once you punch the lever, there is no stopping it. That could slice off a finger or hand super fast.

Speed is one thing we do not need when operating machinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.