Anyone venting their pellet stove into masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2014
Pelham, NH
I had a conversation with our building inspector today, who told me that his inspection for wood our pellet stoves is based the stove's installation manual; if the stove is installed per the manual, it's good to go.

I have a masonry chimney with a wood stove attached. It's line with clay tiles, and it's pretty small - inside dimension is 6.75" square. If I decide to go with a pellet stove, I had planned to run probably a 4" liner down the old flue to attach the stove. the flue is relatively short, about 12-13' from where the wood stove connects to the flue.

One of the stove options that I'm considering is the Eco-Choice CAB50. According to its installation manual, you can connect the stove to the masonry chimney. using 6" stovepipe off the vertical 3 to 6 Inch Offset Adapter. The manual does NOT show attaching the stove to a pipe inside an existing masonry flue.

Has anyone tried using this type of connection? I'm game to give it a try, but I'm a little concerned that the inspector might not approve if I decided to install the liner later, as it's not an option shown in the manual. I've learned not to expect reason to drive decision making.

I have a pellet fireplace insert for 13 years now. I removed the flue door and had a metal plate made with a 4" adaptor pipe through it. Twice a year I remove the plate to clean the ash. The only thing I would do is put a chimney cap to keep the rain out. Otherwise I have no problem with the clay liner.

I did this before you had to get a permit for pellet stoves. Since then I went to town hall and had the stove inspected/permitted and it passed. I did it for insurance reasons.

All the Best

Status
Not open for further replies.