Anything like a Jotul 602 in plate steel available?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy6000

Aug 10, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've been looking for a wood stove in the 1-2 cubic ft. firebox size, but can't find anything that isn't wide with a big glass door. Is there anything certified out there with the Jotul 602 North/South orientation, that's made of plate steel? I like the look of cast iron, but would prefer durability.

Thanks for your help,
-Richard

Many recent cast-iron models have a steel firebox with an outer cast-iron jacket. They are as durable as plain steel stoves if not more so. If you want to get overnight burns I would look at a 2 cu ft firebox size. For a N-S loader check out the Pacific Energy T5, the Jotul F45, or the BlazeKing Ashford 20 which is a catalytic stove with a square firebox. Are you interested in the 602 because your hearth is not that wide?

i dont know of any modern stoves oriented like that but really there is no need to be scared of cast good cast should last a long time with no issues

Reactions: webby3650
The Buck 261 is a box style steel stove. So is the Vogelzang Durango.

Cast is durable, but some of the EPA mods are not as tough. The Jotul 602 seems to be standing up ok. Initially they seemed to have a problem with the secondary rack warping, but a neighbor has had one for 5 yrs now and they still like it. Another cast stove to look at is the Morso 2B.

Are you interested in the 602 because your hearth is not that wide?

My cabin is 300 sqft, with 10' ceilings, and well insulated. I'm afraid of overheating, and don't want the space to be too bright at night, so I figured something small with a N/S orientation (less glass) would work better. That said, I'm a little confused about sizing, even after all of my reading. I'm not sure how big I can safely go.

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't know there were cast stoves with steel fireboxes.

300 sq ft well insulated will overheat easily once the place is up to temp. Getting it up to temp, if the place is ice cold could take all day. So you need a larger stove to start with and then you need to open some windows. Or heat it with a small propane or electric heater.

PS: There are lots of cabin, small home and small threads going on this year on this topic. Search for other suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.