Anyway to convert a manual start 25 PVDC to auto ignite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwyoung2007

Jan 2, 2011
Urbanette, AR
I guess the title says it all. I have an 02 PVDC my only complaint is that even burning it on 1 1 late in the afternoons it will tend to over heat the house and have to refire it later in the evening.

It may be possible, But depending on whats involved as for parts replacement. It may be a bit pricey. Another thing is does the control allow full shutdowns. I seem to have read that some only go to a maintenance fire. This is the lowest setting the stove will idle on. Some do not fully shutdown and then restart when the stat calls for heat again. You might have to check the closest model and its controller to see if it does a full shutdown.

I assume you mean having it auto ignite as if controlled from a thermostat. If so one problem is having the burn pot clear when it is time to ignite. The PDVC was designed for some hands-on at ignition time and to scrap the burn pot a few times per day.

jwyoung2007 said:
I guess the title says it all. I have an 02 PVDC my only complaint is that even burning it on 1 1 late in the afternoons it will tend to over heat the house and have to refire it later in the evening.
You got to live with it or replace the stove.
Mines an 08 and throttles down to low upon thermostat reaching temp.
It`s not made to shut down and re-ignite automatically .
Although it`s possible with an updated control board I don`t think it`s made to install an igniter. cheaper to find a newer used one with the igniter.

I have read that Englander decided to make the stove just to programmed burn and then idle burn. On/off is not possible, but I have wondered if the Micro-Controller has a mode that will do on/off that has already been programmed. If so, how would one enter this mode? What is the magical buttons to press to make this happen? Or can a Micro-controller be purchased from Englander that will do this on/off mode? Or any good PIC chip programmers out there?

turbotech said:
I have read that Englander decided to make the stove just to programmed burn and then idle burn. On/off is not possible, but I have wondered if the Micro-Controller has a mode that will do on/off that has already been programmed. If so, how would one enter this mode? What is the magical buttons to press to make this happen? Or can a Micro-controller be purchased from Englander that will do this on/off mode? Or any good PIC chip programmers out there?

The newer design stoves that Englander makes (the 10-cpm I have, and the EP series) have the ability to do both lo-hi and on-off. I don't think the older design stoves control board can be made to do it.

Best thing would be to give Mike Holton a call at Englander (if you can get him on the phone this time of year :lol: ) and ask him about a retro-fit. I kinda doubt it, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.