APC question..got it free.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
To start I am clueless on these. I got a free APC Back-UPS ES 550 for free. Would it be worth hooking my stove up to it? Any clue what down time I might get out of it? As always thanks:)

New battery is about $20. Was just online looking to replace it for the one that feeds the computer.

This one is good to go. Would it be enough to power down the stove?

To start I am clueless on these. I got a free APC Back-UPS ES 550 for free. Would it be worth hooking my stove up to it? Any clue what down time I might get out of it? As always thanks:)
I'll guess 15 to 20mins.

Usually enough time to at least start the shut down process if you are around.

The real benefit to a UPS on your stove is protection from surges and brown outs! Brown outs can fry just about anything and normal surge protectors do not protect against them!

I am always surprised when I see someone running a brand new $4k+ stove or expensice piece of electronics and it's plugged directly into the wall! A small UPS is under a 100....

If I can get 10 to 15 minutes out of it, then well worth the price I paid to go with it;).

If I can get 10 to 15 minutes out of it, then well worth the price I paid to go with it;).
Its worth against brownouts and surges as digitys said is far more important and with your install you probably have enough draft to keep a major amount of smoke from trying to enter home. Without like me adding corn, your time for pellet burnout is pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.