appalachian = is my stove on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Got some appalachian pellets from tsc to try. Loaded my ef2 up this morning went out for a few hours. Came home and thought my stove was off. Nope still running, omg these suck. I am now trying them in my pdvc. Not recommending these. Tomorrow i will try north americans.

I used them last year early season.
IIRC They were Appalachian Hardwood Pellets made by Premier Pellets

They were great for shoulder season. And I couldn't groan about the price back then.

---Nailer---

These? See picture.

I haven't tried these yet. I need to make a run for them one of these days. But I'll probably pass as I haven't heard much good from them. But if I trip over them, I'll get a couple JIC. Definetly a skimpy pellet testing season so far!

Attachments

• appalachian = is my stove on
    awpweb1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 281
Or these?

These I liked, But can't find anymore. Burned similar to the stove chow I have now, But a tick hotter!

Attachments

• appalachian = is my stove on
    IMG_0053a.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 969
j-takeman said:
Or these?

These I liked, But can't find anymore. Burned similar to the stove chow I have now, But a tick hotter!

these.....
I have my pdvc set at 9 and the flame is barely 3/4 the way up the back. And leave black soot all over the back and burn pot sides..

To be fair I am comparing these to barefoots.

chrisasst said:
j-takeman said:
Or these?

these.....
I have my pdvc set at 9 and the flame is barely 3/4 the way up the back. And leave black soot all over the back and burn pot sides..

Not a totally fair comparision, Your comparing top shelf to middle of the road stuff. Plus you need to figure in the dollar factor. Bet you didn't pay as much for the Apps as you did for the BF's. These are best left for shoulders where you only need limited heat.

Hope you only bought a few bags as a trial?

j-takeman said:
chrisasst said:
j-takeman said:
Or these?

these.....

Not a totally fair comparision, Your comparing top shelf to middle of the road stuff. Plus you need to figure in the dollar factor. Bet you didn't pay as much for the Apps as you did for the BF's. These are best left for shoulders where you only need limited heat.

Yes, only a few bags. ($4.59/ bag or $219/ton) Money is very tight right now, so looking for a cheaper alternative. I guess if I run both stoves, these are doing ok. At the moment seems to be less ash / build up with these than the barefoots though.
Also, I could pretty easily fit a full bag of barefoots into the pdvc hopper. With the appalachians, I could barely get the lid shut. Why would that be. ( yes the hopper was completely empty.)

chrisasst said:
j-takeman said:
chrisasst said:
j-takeman said:
Or these?

these.....

Yes, only a few bags. ($4.59/ bag or $219/ton) Money is very tight right now, so looking for a cheaper alternative. I guess if I run both stoves, these are doing ok. At the moment seems to be less ash / build up with these than the barefoots though.
Also, I could pretty easily fit a full bag of barefoots into the pdvc hopper. With the appalachians, I could barely get the lid shut. Why would that be. ( yes the hopper was completely empty.)

Bulk density. Barefoots have more stuffed into them. App's not so much. Also BF's will put more into the burnpot,so they be hotter. But the Apps's should take longer to burn. Less volume of fuel going to the pot.

I burned a ton of the Premier hardwoods a couple years ago, and they were a good shoulder season pellet in my stove. If I saw them for a decent price, I'd get 'em again.

Status
Not open for further replies.