Ussc pellet stove 6039 wire burning smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Agoonen101

Mar 9, 2024
Lafayette indiana
K so today I fired up my pellet stove all went well I left the room came back to smelling wire burning smell coming from it this is a older 6039 ussc stove with the abc board so I pulled the panel and long behold found that Everytime the auger and the fire box agitator would activate I could see sparks and a orange glow coming from the brown wire spot on the plug going into the control board I have tried to unplug the agitator to see if it would still happen with just the auger going and it sure does also did it the other way around with the same result not sure wat could cause this issue it has worked great for us no issue both the agitator and auger still r working and help were to start would be great thanks in advanced all wires look good as well no cracks burns etc so I am at a loss

Reactions: ARC
Here's a pic as u can see inside the plastic white cover in one of the pics it will glow orange

17099979530897365363697767493652.jpg

IMG_20240309_102852989.jpg

17099982272178841706877943409094.jpg

Brown wire only goes to the agitator, Purple wire goes to the auger, white wire neutral and green wire which is a neutral lead goes to low limit switch then ties into white neutral. I would suspect that green wire or white wire is shorting to Brown and/or Purple either inside the white plug or on the board itself

1710009664882.png

Attachments

• 6039 Manual.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Unfortunately after a closer look it looks to be coming from the board itself 😔 so I'm sure it will need replaced just kinda weird how it was working great even when I discovered the smell here's a closer look at the burn spot on the board itself since this is a older board only ones I see for it look to be a upgraded version which I suppose will be nice guess only questions I'll have going forward will be if there's any surprises to look out for on the new board or is gonna be a plug and play thing

if there's any surprises to look out for on the new board or is gonna be a plug and play thing
I've done 3 upgrades and they all were plug and play, make sure you check your white plug for damage if melted to much you might need new wiring harness. The new 4 button board is much better you will have more control over your stove. Make sure you get the 80507 that is the 4 button for your 6039 ($170.00+-). US stove uses a simular control boards in most of their stoves they are programed different and will not work in your stove. 6039 4 button manual and tech manual attached.

Attachments

• usstove tech manual 6039 American Harvest Multi Fuel ABC & 4 Digit Board.pdf
    799.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 6039 four button manual.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 27
I've done 3 upgrades and they all were plug and play, make sure you check your white plug for damage if melted to much you might need new wiring harness. The new 4 button board is much better you will have more control over your stove. Make sure you get the 80507 that is the 4 button for your 6039 ($170.00+-). US stove uses a simular control boards in most of their stoves they are programed different and will not work in your stove. 6039 4 button manual and tech manual attached.
Well just a update I got the board today got it installed at first all was well then started noticing the flame dampening out a little so I cranked up the heat range on it hoping it would make a change in the amount of pellet that were being dropped in but nothing changes the auger dropped pellets for like 3 secs then stops waits then will drop for 3 more seconds I'm at a loss here as with the other board I had no issues mayer infact if I turned it up to high it would over produce pellets but now the fire box is staying quiet empty even if I change it to heat range 9 any idea y it's doing this there is no err codes showing it almost looks like the auger isn't even making a full revolution no more like it did before please help with what I might be able to try to get this thing to work like before would be great

Is the dash in between HR and number Blinking circled in green in pic? Do you have stove hooked to external thermostat? If not is thermostat Jumper in place? Sounds like stove is staying on idle and not ramping up to selected heat settings. If hooked up to external thermostat is it calling for heat?

After checking on above. check C Codes to see if feed settings are correct. Especially C-2 and C-3.

Be aware it can take up to 20 minutes to fully go from one heat range setting to the selected setting but you should start to notice difference within a couple of minutes.

6039 4 Digit Board C Codes
To adjust the operation constants, press the hold the MODE and AUGER DELAY buttons
simultaneously for 3 seconds. The display will show “C-1”. Use the HEAT RANGE UP or HEAT
RANGE DOWN buttons to change the constant number (see the list of vales below). When the
desired constant is displayed, press the ON button to toggle between viewing and editing the value.
While editing a parameter, use the AUX again to return to the constant number list. Press the OFF
button to exit the operational constants mode.
 C-1- Reset to defaults (hold mode and auger delay buttons for 3 seconds to reset all to
defaults)
 C-2- Fuel Lbs. Per hour HR 1 (0-6.5) - this is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat
range setting of 1. The Default is 2.0lbs per hour.
 C-3- Fuel Lbs. Per Hour HR 9 (0- 6.5) - This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat
range setting of 9. The Default is 5.0lbs per hour. The fuel rates used between settings of 1
and 9 are linearly interpolated between the two settings.
 C-4-Agitator On Percentage HR1 (0-50) – this is the percent on time for the agitator for
setting of 1. The Default is 25%.
 C_5-Agitator On Percentage HR9 (0-50) – This is the percent on time for the agitator for a
setting of 9. The Default is 50%. The percent on time for the agitator used between
settings 1 and 9 are linearly interpolated between the two settings.
 C-6-Room Fan Level HR 1 (0-500) – This is the output level applied to the room fan for a
setting of 1. The Default value is 250/500.
 C-7-Room Fan Level HR 9 (0-500) – This is the output level applied to the room fan for a
setting of 9. The Default value is 370/500. The Room fan output levels used between
settings 1 and 9 is linearly interpolated between these two settings.
 C-8-Draft Fan Level HR 1 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output lever for a draft fan setting of
1. The Default is 230/500.
 C-9-Draft Fan Level HR 9 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output lever for a draft fan setting of
9. The Default is 270/500.
 C-10-Draft Fan Full On at Setting 9 (0-1) – If this parameter is set to 1 (default), the setting
for C9 is used for a fan speed of 8, and a value of 500 is used for a fan speed of 9. If the
parameter is set to 0, the setting for C9 is used for a fan speed of 9, and all remaining fan
speeds are set based on the interpolation between C9 and C8.
 C-11- Ramp Seconds for Increasing Level (0-300) – When the heat range setting is adjusted,
the control will ramp from the current setting to the target setting to avoid abrupt changes
in the outputs that could cause problems with the flame quality. The Ramp Seconds value
sets the amount of time to spend on each heat range setting as the current setting is
ramping toward the target. If the current setting is ramping down toward a lower target, the
ramp value is half the number. The default value is 90 seconds.
 C-12-Startup Minutes for Detection Warm Stove- (10-60) This is the amount of time the
control will wait for the stove to reach the warm temperature (110°F) after the stove has
been started before shutting down and reporting an Error Condition Err3. The default is
30 minutes.

output_GsR6bQ.gifzblee.jpgthermo jumper.jpg

K so far I can tell u that for sure the jumper is in place there is no external thermostat hooked up to the unit at all as for the blinking line mark in the middle like u have circled in photo I'll have to look I assume that want to know about that when the unit is fully fired up and runny correct I can find that out here soon before moving on to the other stuff u have listed

Is the dash in between HR and number Blinking circled in green in pic? Do you have stove hooked to external thermostat? If not is thermostat Jumper in place? Sounds like stove is staying on idle and not ramping up to selected heat settings. If hooked up to external thermostat is it calling for heat?

After checking on above. check C Codes to see if feed settings are correct. Especially C-2 and C-3.

Be aware it can take up to 20 minutes to fully go from one heat range setting to the selected setting but you should start to notice difference within a couple of minutes.

6039 4 Digit Board C Codes
To adjust the operation constants, press the hold the MODE and AUGER DELAY buttons
simultaneously for 3 seconds. The display will show “C-1”. Use the HEAT RANGE UP or HEAT
RANGE DOWN buttons to change the constant number (see the list of vales below). When the
desired constant is displayed, press the ON button to toggle between viewing and editing the value.
While editing a parameter, use the AUX again to return to the constant number list. Press the OFF
button to exit the operational constants mode.
 C-1- Reset to defaults (hold mode and auger delay buttons for 3 seconds to reset all to
defaults)
 C-2- Fuel Lbs. Per hour HR 1 (0-6.5) - this is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat
range setting of 1. The Default is 2.0lbs per hour.
 C-3- Fuel Lbs. Per Hour HR 9 (0- 6.5) - This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat
range setting of 9. The Default is 5.0lbs per hour. The fuel rates used between settings of 1
and 9 are linearly interpolated between the two settings.
 C-4-Agitator On Percentage HR1 (0-50) – this is the percent on time for the agitator for
setting of 1. The Default is 25%.
 C_5-Agitator On Percentage HR9 (0-50) – This is the percent on time for the agitator for a
setting of 9. The Default is 50%. The percent on time for the agitator used between
settings 1 and 9 are linearly interpolated between the two settings.
 C-6-Room Fan Level HR 1 (0-500) – This is the output level applied to the room fan for a
setting of 1. The Default value is 250/500.
 C-7-Room Fan Level HR 9 (0-500) – This is the output level applied to the room fan for a
setting of 9. The Default value is 370/500. The Room fan output levels used between
settings 1 and 9 is linearly interpolated between these two settings.
 C-8-Draft Fan Level HR 1 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output lever for a draft fan setting of
1. The Default is 230/500.
 C-9-Draft Fan Level HR 9 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output lever for a draft fan setting of
9. The Default is 270/500.
 C-10-Draft Fan Full On at Setting 9 (0-1) – If this parameter is set to 1 (default), the setting
for C9 is used for a fan speed of 8, and a value of 500 is used for a fan speed of 9. If the
parameter is set to 0, the setting for C9 is used for a fan speed of 9, and all remaining fan
speeds are set based on the interpolation between C9 and C8.
 C-11- Ramp Seconds for Increasing Level (0-300) – When the heat range setting is adjusted,
the control will ramp from the current setting to the target setting to avoid abrupt changes
in the outputs that could cause problems with the flame quality. The Ramp Seconds value
sets the amount of time to spend on each heat range setting as the current setting is
ramping toward the target. If the current setting is ramping down toward a lower target, the
ramp value is half the number. The default value is 90 seconds.
 C-12-Startup Minutes for Detection Warm Stove- (10-60) This is the amount of time the
control will wait for the stove to reach the warm temperature (110°F) after the stove has
been started before shutting down and reporting an Error Condition Err3. The default is
30 minutes.

View attachment 325770View attachment 325772View attachment 325773
Alright I just turned it on so it could start filling the pot with pellets as there is no ignitor I have to self fire it off wile in this stage the dash u show in ur photo is blinking along with the green light above the on button and the red light is blinking above the auto button as soon as it fills I'll fire it and tell u wat it's doing after that sry for so many messages just wanna do this step by step is all

Good one thing at a time I like that. I am retired and am not in a hurry so go as slow as you wish

blinking above the auto button
Another thing to add to your list, will not fix your feed problem but light should not be blinking above auto button, that means you have Draft Fan or Agitator not on auto setting. Push Draft Fan UP until it says dF-A and the Aux Up button until is says AU-A.

I just turned it on
What heat setting for turning it on? Normal is HR-2. My start up procedure is throw a hand full of pellets in fire pot squirt some starting gel on it(hand sanitizer) light it with barbecue lighter, close door, turn stove on, make sure it is on HR-2 and after a few minutes a small fire is going, even before room fan comes on I set stove to HR-7 which is the heat setting I run on 24/7. I have a external thermostat hook to stove so when it reaches 72 in living room stove goes down to idle when thermostat asks for heat stove ramps back to HR-7 by itself.

Last edited:
K well here's wat I've found so far u r right about it taking a min to switch from one setting to another I started it off accidentally in hr 7 the dash was blinking so I went down from that to hr 1 it stopped so I let it burn at that setting for awhile then went to hr5 and noticed it did ramp up and the dash was blinking then after about 10 mins it stopped blinking so I went ahead and rose it up to hr 9 once again dash would blink then stop after about 10 mins or so the fire also did ramp up during all this since I'm just getting use to this board I'm thinking mabe it is fine after all I mean the fire at hr 9 seemed to burn alright so I went a step further and lowered it back down to hr 1 waited for the dash to stop blinking and raised it back to hr 9 now when I did this it did struggle a little to get back to it but eventually did I noticed this time the flame seemed a little lazy tho more orange then the first time I brought it up thru the settings I tried to add some air by opening the damper under the fire box to help it did a little I can hear the exhaust fan ramp up then go back down when it does the flame burns alot lighter does this seem normal to u with the old board my flames were almost yellowish color I assume burning a lot hotter then a orange flame also I will check and make sure everything is on the auto setting mind u during the first setting changes the flames where that yellowish hot burning color

make sure everything is on the auto setting
I run mine in auto all the time, US stove default settings are good. I can not run my stove in setting HR-9 it will over heat and trip the high limit switch within 15 minutes.

dash would blink then stop after about 10 mins
Default ramp up or down is 12 mins so about 10 is right.

tried to add some air by opening the damper under the fire box to help it did a little
Do you have a Outside Air Kit (OAK) installed? If I remember right the damper should be about 1 inch out, I would not be surprise when changing from HR-1 to HR-9 you would have to open up damper slightly. Did you get auto light to stop blinking? Some people change the room fan to run on 9 all the time and some fine tune the draft fan up for a hotter burn but that also causes you to go through pellets faster. There are also changes you can make to feed rate, draft rate, room fan rate, agitator rate, ramp rate and start up time with the C Codes. But the default C codes seem to work well you might not want to play with them unless you are having burn problems. It sounds like you are getting a handle on running your improved upgraded 6039

I can hear the exhaust fan ramp up then go back down when it does the flame burns alot lighter does this seem normal to u with the old board my flames were almost yellowish color I assume burning a lot hotter then a orange flame
Yes normal and yes lighter color hotter fire, some orange mostly yellow and almost white good, if blue and green might be to hot. You will get more orange when ramping up or down between Heat Ranges as fire adjust and orange with wisp black smoke when stove gets dirty. When burning on HR-1 expect more orange and dirtier stove most stoves run dirtier on lowest settings.

K just a update now that we r getting some colder weather in one of ur messages u stated something about it being vented to the outside with a kit I do not have it vented to the outside but with the old board it did just fine also another message u mention about changing the feed rate in the c code list so I went in and changed them by .50 so now they r at 2.50 and 5.50 and now I'm seeing a better flow of pellets from the auger getting closer to how it ran with the old abc board I'm not sure wat settings them old boards had but it must have been something higher on it then wat the defaults were on the new board I'm now getting a bigger and better burning flame then before and alot more heat just from that small adjustment as for the older boards I guess I should ask were they able to be adjusted like this or was it just a factory set thing with them

should ask were they able to be adjusted like this or was it just a factory set thing with them
There were 5 versions of the ABC board only the last two 33. 34 had any adjustments the 4 button board you have now has a lot of adjustments. ABC feed rates were 1.5 and 5.0. Four button as you know are 2.00 and 5.00. Keep notes of any changes you do that way you can always go back to the ones that work best for you. If you unplug stove at end of season do not worry the stove retains the last setting you put in. The only way settings change is if you manually change them or do a factory reset to default settings. When I burn a pellet corn mix I too increase my draft by .50 and one year I got 5 tons of pellets that had to have a higher draft setting to burn better.
VERSION 34 B
A-AUGER
B-BLOWER
C-AUGER DELAY DURING START UP
C-AUX WILL TURN AGITATOR
THE A AND B BUTTONS WERE NOT ACTIVE. PRESS THE HEAT RANGE DOWN AND
BLOWER RANGE UP AT THE SAME TIME FOR 5 SECONDS TO ACTIVATE. THE A AND B
BUTTONS WILL NOT LIGHT UP WHEN PRESSED
FEED-PRESS THE A BUTTON THE HEAT RANGE NUMER AND BLOWER SPEED NUMBER
SHOULD CHANGE THIS IS THE POUNDS PER HOUR THE AUGER WILL FEED. THE FACTORY
SETTING IS 1.5 THIS IS THE LOW FUEL RATE FOR SETTING NUMBER ONE. DO NOT TELL
THE CUSTOMER THIS IS REFERING TO POUNDS PLEASE REFER TO THIS NUMBER AS
FIFTEEN
FEED-IF YOU PRESS THE A BUTTON TWICE YOU WILL SEE THE HIGH END AUGER SPEED
THE FACTORY SETTING IS 5.0 THIS IS THE AUGER SPEED FOR THE NUMBER 9 SETTING
TO INCREASE OR DECREASE THESE SETTINGS USE THE ROOM BLOWER ARROW UP AND
DOWN
AIR-PRESS THE B BUTTON AND YOU WILL SEE A NUMBER ON THE HEAT RANGE SIDE
AND BLOWER SIDE. THIS IS THE LOW END COMBUSTION BLOWER SPEED (SETTING #1)
THE FACTORY SETTING IS 90
AIR-PRESS THE B BUTTON TWICE AND YOU WILL SEE A NUMBER ON THE HEAT RANGE
SIDE AND BLOWER SIDE. THIS IS THE HIGH END COMBUSTION BLOWER SPEED (SETTING
#9). THE FACTORY SETTING IS 08 WITH C BUTTON LIGHT ON
RESET TO FACTORY- HOLD THE BLOWER ARROW UP AND THE BLOWER ARROW DOWN
AT THE SAME TIME UNTIL THE UNIT TURNS OFF
stated something about it being vented to the outside with a kit

The Outside Air Kit (OAK) or as US Stove calls it Fresh Air Kit (FAK) is not required if your stove ran well without it it will continue to run well. I have a old farm house without the FAK I could feel more drafts around the windows and outside wall electric outlets. Stove has to draw air from somewhere. Some people do not like to use inside air in the burning of pellets as use are using already heated up air to burn and then exhaust that air. Some also feel they get a better fire with the colder outside air feed through the FAK. Some stove brands require a FAK installed and some require FAK installed if in a trailer. US Stove 6039 only suggest they be installed in house but must install in trailer. If opening a door or window in the same room as the 6039 gives you a better looking fire then I would think about installing the kit.

Last edited:
Also would like to add I did get the auto light to stop blinking I had things off of auto setting and didn't realize it I think I'm liking this board with all these adjustable things and the ability to find tune it is definitely a great feature

Thank u for ur reply my parents have one also with the old board that It seems to burn fairly low so maybe I'll give it info a try and see if it adjustable or not to get them some extra heat as well thanks for all the info and being patient with me I'm gonna keep tinkering with mine tho so I can get the best the stove will do outta it thank u again

There were 5 versions of the ABC board only the last two 33. 34 had any adjustments the 4 button board you have now has a lot of adjustments. ABC feed rates were 1.5 and 5.0. Four button as you know are 2.00 and 5.00. Keep notes of any changes you do that way you can always go back to the ones that work best for you. If you unplug stove at end of season do not worry the stove retains the last setting you put in. The only way settings change is if you manually change them or do a factory reset to default settings. When I burn a pellet corn mix I too increase my draft by .50 and one year I got 5 tons of pellets that had to have a higher draft setting to burn better.
VERSION 34 B
A-AUGER
B-BLOWER
C-AUGER DELAY DURING START UP
C-AUX WILL TURN AGITATOR
THE A AND B BUTTONS WERE NOT ACTIVE. PRESS THE HEAT RANGE DOWN AND
BLOWER RANGE UP AT THE SAME TIME FOR 5 SECONDS TO ACTIVATE. THE A AND B
BUTTONS WILL NOT LIGHT UP WHEN PRESSED
FEED-PRESS THE A BUTTON THE HEAT RANGE NUMER AND BLOWER SPEED NUMBER
SHOULD CHANGE THIS IS THE POUNDS PER HOUR THE AUGER WILL FEED. THE FACTORY
SETTING IS 1.5 THIS IS THE LOW FUEL RATE FOR SETTING NUMBER ONE. DO NOT TELL
THE CUSTOMER THIS IS REFERING TO POUNDS PLEASE REFER TO THIS NUMBER AS
FIFTEEN
FEED-IF YOU PRESS THE A BUTTON TWICE YOU WILL SEE THE HIGH END AUGER SPEED
THE FACTORY SETTING IS 5.0 THIS IS THE AUGER SPEED FOR THE NUMBER 9 SETTING
TO INCREASE OR DECREASE THESE SETTINGS USE THE ROOM BLOWER ARROW UP AND
DOWN
AIR-PRESS THE B BUTTON AND YOU WILL SEE A NUMBER ON THE HEAT RANGE SIDE
AND BLOWER SIDE. THIS IS THE LOW END COMBUSTION BLOWER SPEED (SETTING #1)
THE FACTORY SETTING IS 90
AIR-PRESS THE B BUTTON TWICE AND YOU WILL SEE A NUMBER ON THE HEAT RANGE
SIDE AND BLOWER SIDE. THIS IS THE HIGH END COMBUSTION BLOWER SPEED (SETTING
#9). THE FACTORY SETTING IS 08 WITH C BUTTON LIGHT ON
RESET TO FACTORY- HOLD THE BLOWER ARROW UP AND THE BLOWER ARROW DOWN
AT THE SAME TIME UNTIL THE UNIT TURNS OFF

The Outside Air Kit (OAK) or as US Stove calls it Fresh Air Kit (FAK) is not required if your stove ran well without it it will continue to run well. I have a old farm house without the FAK I could feel more drafts around the windows and outside wall electric outlets. Stove has to draw air from somewhere. Some people do not like to use inside air in the burning of pellets as use are using already heated up air to burn and then exhaust that air. Some also feel they get a better fire with the colder outside air feed through the FAK. Some stove brands require a FAK installed and some require FAK installed if in a trailer. US Stove 6039 only suggest they be installed. If opening a door or window in the same room as the 6039 gives you a better looking fire then I would think about installing the kit.
Yea my house is a 1930s house so plenty of drafts lol unfortunately but I guess good for the stove of course

Attached is part of a old tech manual for the US stove 6039 ABC board I don't know if it will help or confuse you.

Attachments

• 6039.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 427
my parents have one also with the old board
If parents stove is off, like for cleaning, unplug stove and plug back in should flash version number on board its quick so you have to be looking at it when you plug it back in. I think after you get use to your stove you might be talking your parents into upgrading their board, lol