USSC 6041HF startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One year ago I got a used USSC 6041HF (2009 model year) that has been sitting in my basement not used till yesterday evening. It may not be recommended, due to draft fan being smaller than some units, to do so but it is venting into a unused chimney that has a really good natural draft. I have a fresh air supply to it and the plug under burn pot is out as well as the two holes behind fake fire brick are plugged with electric breaker box knockout plugs, DRAFT IS OF LITTLE TO ZERO CONCERN AT THIS TIME. I removed the panels, the fake fire brick, the burn pot, the draft fan, etc. etc. etc. and cleaned the unit thoroughly the other day so I know for sure the unit is very clean and also put in a new door gasket. As far as the unit producing good heat and a good flame and room fan circulating air it has proven itself very well at least for the 5 hours it burned last night. I have a USSC 8500 on season four tuned in rather well keeping 2700sqft warm so I'm familiar( at least familiar enough to be dangerous) with pellet stoves. Now my 6041 has an igniter that does not work but I'm okay with that for know cause I can light it easy enough with a few drops of burn gel. For next season or maybe even sooner than later I will likely get the igniter working but like I said, without it for now, I'm okay without it. My question is on the startup cycle it has three pellet lighting phases where during phase one it runs pellet feed auger at 100% duty cycle than in phases two and three, of startup cycle, is reduces the duty cycle each time. Supposing it does this first to allow igniter to get hot than putting a bed of new pellets on it to light is how the process works, it's really neat how it does it. Now since my igniter is no good at the moment is there a way to stop the 100% duty cycle during startup, phase 1, to 0% so that it don't snuff out the fire I started with the gel? I stopped it by unplugging pellet feed auger until it had a good flame than once plugged back in it took of without any hiccups. The C16 setting, pellet lighting phase one period, is for three minutes so if I take that to zero and will it stop that 100% duty cycle during phase one or is that three minute phase something that can't be altered? Let me know. Thanks

The C16 setting, pellet lighting phase one period, is for three minutes so if I take that to zero and will it stop that 100% duty cycle during phase one or is that three minute phase something that can't be altered?
Has been a while since I worked on a 6041 C16 can be set to 1 which will make phase 1 operate for 1 second at 100%. Then phase 2 will run for 240 seconds (4 minutes) at 50 % which gives time for fire to really catch. Phase 3 will then run for 120 seconds (2 minutes) at 20 %,

The parent of the 6041, USSC 6039 does not have igniter or start up phases, you throw a handful of pellets in pot, starting gel, light it, turn stove on, set HR 2, and your done. HR 2 would be 22 % duty cycle if you want to think of it that way. After fire gets going good you set stove on what ever heat setting you want usually within 2 minutes, So I wouldn't be surprised if you could have phase 2 only run for 1 second also.
I stopped it by unplugging pellet feed auger until it had a good flame than once plugged back in it took of without any hiccups.
Try pushing the auger delay button it should stop auger for 1 minute, after 1 minute you could push it again for another 1 minute delay ect ect ect. Never tried it during start up phase but it should work.

Thank you for the reply. Pushing the auger delay button makes perfect sense. Yesterday evening I more than likely stared at the auger delay button and never once did it dawn on me to push it so rather I quickly pulled off back cover to unplug motor, I'll have to try auger delay button, much easier. I'll also do as you said and go into C16 than change it to 1 and go from there. I'll keep records of everything so if later on I do install an igniter than I know what settings to go back to. Thank you

Reactions: ARC