CAB50 startup question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zerowkul98

Oct 5, 2016
Bolton, MA
Hi all.

I have a heatilator cab50 that i recenrly got ready for the season by replacing the combustion motor, the thermocouple, sanded down and repainted the baffle plates, efc etc.

I noticed at startup that the auger feed drops pellets, ignites..:but then does not drop more. It seems to go through TWO ignite rounds and THEN drops more.

Thoughts as to what it could be? Bad thermocouple, i know its supposed to be inserted in the thermocouple cover a Particular way, distance from the inside tip of the cover, etc.

Seeing if this lack-of-feed issue sounds familiar to you guys before i order a new thermocouple and try again.

Thanks!

Well, with the lack of responses, i took out the new thermocouple and reinstalled the old one. Presto change-o, it’s back to working perfectly. Guess it’s OEM or nothing at all from now on.

Not sure if you purchased an aftermarket thermocouple or not. Noticed some of these have reverse polarity so the control will not feed pellets beyond the initial load for starting. Might want to do a quick check against your original thermocouple to see if the millivolts generated is 15mV and of the correct polarity.

Thanks for the reply. I switched it back to the original thermocouple, and it improved, but definitely has quite the pause between when the pellets are first ignited, and when the stove feeds more into the pot. Maybe im just losing it, but i could have sworn that the time between igniting the pellets at the beginning of a heating cycle and when the stove would automatically feed more to get the fire going was a shorter interval.