USSC 6041HF venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yesterday I purchased a used (2009 model year) USSC 6041HF for my basement that looks really nice yet and the seller said it worked good but was selling it cause they moving. I was reading the tech manual for it and it says DO NOT vent into a chimney. I currently have a, what I call tuned in, USSC 8500 used to heat our 2700sqft house and vent it into a chimney with no problems. I’m familiar with the control panel as the 6400 and the 8500 have the same one so I know the draft fan constants. I have a chimney not being used(my house has two chimneys) and I can get fresh air to intake of 6041 so why should I not vent the 6041 into a chimney like I do my 8500?

Some stoves do not have strong enough draft (motor and blade and speed) for long, big runs. If chimney is small,like 6", you could be fine. Otherwise, you will have to run a liner.