Apparently I've been hosed by CL splitter seller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I am unbelievably disappointed! As posted elsewhere, I found a CL listing for a 'new' Huskee 35 ton splitter for a killer price of $1000.00. The lady was very nice and communicated with me well with many emails. We had a tentative appointment for 3:00 this afternoon. That was as of yesterday. She was suppose to contact me last night or this morning to confirm time and give me the location. I never heard from her again. She did not reply to a couple of emails I sent. I told her that I had been really excited about getting the splitter and was disappointed that I had not heard back from her and also told her that I hoped she was okay and had not been involved in an accident or something like that.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and I really want to believe that most people are basically good.
This is my first experience trying to purchase something over Craigslist. I'm somewhat disillusioned.

I apologize for making so many posts about my search for a splitter. I appreciate your guidance and encouragement.

Cheers!

Ken

Oh I bet she still has it and just has not check emails.....

XactLEE said:
Someone prolly waved 12 or 13 big ones in her face!!!

That could well be the case. I wish, though, that she would have just sent a brief email saying "no longer for sale" or something like that. I was the first one to contact her right after the listing went up Sunday evening. I told her right away that I would buy it at her price. She said I was first in line. I had a fear that, having to wait so long to conclude the deal could prove to be a problem. She's had me tied up for a week. I rearranged plans for today and have been sitting around the house waiting to hear from her. Even if she was going to screw me over I wish she would have simply told me it was sold, or something.

Moving on....

Well, wonders never cease. The lady just called me. She's been tied up all day. I'm about to head out the door with $$$ in my pocket to meet my buddy to go look at it and hopefully pick it up. Since we have to go into west Houston, our brides decided that they will tag along and make us take them out to dinner.

I'll let you know how it goes. Even if it's not "brand new" as advertized, she insists it has not been used but has been in storage for quite a while.
I figure for $1000, if it runs it'll be worth it, right? Right?

Kenster said:
Well, wonders never cease. The lady just called me. She's been tied up all day. I'm about to head out the door with $$$ in my pocket to meet my buddy to go look at it and hopefully pick it up. Since we have to go into west Houston, our brides decided that they will tag along and make us take them out to dinner.

I'll let you know how it goes. Even if it's not "brand new" as advertized, she insists it has not been used but has been in storage for quite a while.

Post #2! :cheese:

The suspense is killing me......this and the Anthony verdict in the same week. I hope this turns out better

I don't think you can go wrong for 1 G. Good luck.

My rule of thumb on Craigslist is to NEVER get excited about something. If you see something you are interested in pull the trigger right away and see what happens. People will pull an item off the listing page if they get 30 responses on the first day, indicating they are selling it too low. There is nothing worse than getting your hopes up and having the deal fall through.

I have been lucky with all my CL transactions. Being a smart consumer is half the battle. Not getting moron sellers is the other half. I hope this works out for you.

fishingpol said:
My rule of thumb on Craigslist is to NEVER get excited about something. If you see something you are interested in pull the trigger right away and see what happens. People will pull an item off the listing page if they get 30 responses on the first day, indicating they are selling it too low. There is nothing worse than getting your hopes up and having the deal fall through.

Precisely. I've only answered ads in the free section,but have gotten everything from a decent bookcase,table or two,3 loads of excellent very large unsplit Silver Maple,3 loads of smaller but even better quality Black Walnut (just 4 blocks from home) which in a few months I milled over 1/2 of it into blocks & slabs - selling most for around $350 total,nice apples,pears & other garden items & stuff for the house. The walnut I was the first responder,couldnt fit all on truck in one trip - owner said 'You can have it all & we'll pull the ad immediately." It was almost dark so I had to get the other 2 loads the next morning,but it was waiting for me.They even suggested I back up on their dry,level side yard instead of having to carry or roll those 200lb rounds to my truck at their curb.

Kenster said:

O.K. Whats the Verdict??????????? Its Killing Me!!!!!!!! Did you get it???? Where are the Pic's???? I paid more (Just a Little) for my 21/Ton MTD splitter. Got me a Little jealous here.... I know you said you were " going out to dinner." with your Brides...... But???

Seriously!! Dying here, need pics ASAP!

It's a done deal! I got the splitter for the listed and agreed upon $1000. The lady had had a hard day and was running way late. My buddy with the trailer was ready to walk out on his way to meet me. Suddenly our brides decided they wanted to make a road trip. We took them out to dinner and had a margarita while waiting for the seller to appear. Just got home. Details and pics will follow soon.
Thanks for all the support.

Ken

Nice!!!! Good things come to those who wait... Congrats... I am jealous!!!!

Kenster said:
It's a done deal! I got the splitter for the listed and agreed upon $1000. The lady had had a hard day and was running way late. My buddy with the trailer was ready to walk out on his way to meet me. Suddenly our brides decided they wanted to make a road trip. We took them out to dinner and had a margarita while waiting for the seller to appear. Just got home. Details and pics will follow soon.

Ken

Glad she came through Ken, I hope everything works out.

zap

zapny said:
Kenster said:

Ken
up a 35T

Glad she came through Ken, I hope everything works out.

con
zap
+1! You did good, congrats! and OK= About friggin time! 1.5 cord a year, and you pick up a 35T splitter? That is so awesome. You'll have plenty of time to fix the detent spring issues I've read about, and the ram plate "gibbs" are an easy fix also. Good buy!!

To quote of of my favorite lines from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "And there was much rejoicing".

congrats. Oh, by the way, none of this happened without pics ;-)

PIC's Or it didn't happen! Drinks that is splitters are really not that exciting! :cheese:

Nice and congrats! There's definitely a little luck involved in CL buying. I missed out on a sweet deal for a Ridgid air compressor (under-priced) some weeks back when my email didn't go through for some reason. The guy was nice enough to let me know it was gone & I thanked him for that courtesy. Also had a few sellers flake out & a couple very optimistic item descriptions :roll:

Hurrah . . . been following the trials and tribulations of Kenster's Search For the Holy Grail of Wood Splitters for some time now . . . the highs and the lows . . . the soap opera like moments . . . now that you have a hydraulic splitter you'll never look back . . . splitting will actually be fun vs. a chore . . . honestly it's my favorite part of working with wood. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.