Apple seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Cinnamon or plain?

Seriously, I have some apple that was cut last spring, and it still seems pretty heavy, especially the 5-6" rounds. Some peices also hiss very slightly for a minute or two. A little moisture left under the bark perhaps? Anyone have a feel for how long apple takes to become burnable?

That is my experience as well. It is better to save it for the smoker. :)

Apple, properly dried, is a premium burning, heating, smoking (well, never tried it 't h a t' way) and cooking fuel. Split the rounds. Don't grouse, snivel or whine about the spurs or weight. Apple wood is growable gold.

Aye,
Marty

Grandama always said: "Never miss a chance to shut your mouth."

Marty, I agree, the stuff that is split seems to have seasoned nicely, and burns for ever. Seems as good as Oak. No complaints about any of that!!

Actually, around here, there are a lot of apple orchards. I'm thinking that they could be a prime source of scrounging some prime logs.

A home down the street from my work was doing some landscaping and decided to rip out an old apple tree. They were going to just chip it up and dump it, but I talked them into letting a friend cut and haul it away. It's seasoning right now and should be ready for next year. He gave me some of the apple he had for a couple years, and you're right, it burns forever. And it smells nice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.