1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Apple seasoning

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wg_bent, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Cinnamon or plain?

Seriously, I have some apple that was cut last spring, and it still seems pretty heavy, especially the 5-6" rounds. Some peices also hiss very slightly for a minute or two. A little moisture left under the bark perhaps? Anyone have a feel for how long apple takes to become burnable?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. vgrund

vgrund Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Amherst, NH
    That is my experience as well. It is better to save it for the smoker. :)
  3. Martin Strand III

Martin Strand III New Member

Loc:
    NW MI near nowhere
    Apple, properly dried, is a premium burning, heating, smoking (well, never tried it 't h a t' way) and cooking fuel. Split the rounds. Don't grouse, snivel or whine about the spurs or weight. Apple wood is growable gold.

Aye,
    Marty

Grandama always said: "Never miss a chance to shut your mouth."
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Marty, I agree, the stuff that is split seems to have seasoned nicely, and burns for ever. Seems as good as Oak. No complaints about any of that!!

Actually, around here, there are a lot of apple orchards. I'm thinking that they could be a prime source of scrounging some prime logs.
  5. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    A home down the street from my work was doing some landscaping and decided to rip out an old apple tree. They were going to just chip it up and dump it, but I talked them into letting a friend cut and haul it away. It's seasoning right now and should be ready for next year. He gave me some of the apple he had for a couple years, and you're right, it burns forever. And it smells nice!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.