Appliance Adapter - Necessary ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
For my pellet stove install in the basement I'll be using 3" pipes, will be connecting a tee with removal cap in the back of the stove, then saw appliance adapter option on the website where I'll be buying the parts.

Is this a must? I assume outlet of the stove in the back is also 3", so I thought an adapter is only need if you're going with 4" pipes to increase from 3" to 4".

Description says: "3PVP-AD - Attaches to appliance outlet allowing pipe to easily connect or disconnect."

So, is this adapter needed or I can connect my tee-cap to the back of the stove directly? Pros/cons ?

purplesunrise said:
Check with your librarian, information professional, or system manager to determine if you need to log in. Please complete the online Technical Support Form if you need assistance.

?????????????????????????

purplesunrise said:
Check with your librarian, information professional, or system manager to determine if you need to log in. Please complete the online Technical Support Form if you need assistance.

uh???

Today's not April's fools......right ?

packerfan said:
I don't know what brand of vent pipe you are using, but with duravent pipe, the adapter that goes on the stove is needed so that you have something to twist/connect the next piece of pipe on to.

makes sense, thanks Dan.

Dan's got it right.

All pellet vent pipes regardless of brand have special ends that connect one pipe to another making an air tight connection. The tee likely has two of these connections - one for going up, the other for going to your stove. The adapter will connect to that special end and switch for an appropriate connection to your combustion exhaust pipe.

ok I guess I am confused here. What does this thing do? All that my setup does is that the pipe on the back of my stove slides into the exhaust pipe. It is definitely not tight. Could this cause a burning issue(make the stove not burn as well)?

all pellet pipe will have an appliance adaptor to adapt to their pipe.. i have "seen" it done where a liberal amount of RTV and some screws and pipe clamps you can make it work; the simpson always seemed to fit the tightest on factory flue collars. however; if you buck up and buy the adaptor, it is worthwile in terms of aggrevation/future service.

chrisasst said:
ok I guess I am confused here. What does this thing do? All that my setup does is that the pipe on the back of my stove slides into the exhaust pipe. It is definitely not tight. Could this cause a burning issue(make the stove not burn as well)?

Chris, you definitely need to install an appliance adapter. It converts the simple straight pipe that comes out of your stove into a matching rotating/locking pipe end that the matching pipe or T connects to.

This is the one I have for my Simpson Dura Vent:

www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=689

EDIT: BTW, Dynamite Buys is a great company to do business with.....great prices, fast FREE shipping on all orders, & great customer service. Their on a par with Eric at Kinsman Stoves.

I don't have one on my stove. A 'T' goes right into the 4" stove collar and top end of the 'T' into 4" foreverflex liner then 25 ft. up to cap inside existing prefab flue. This is the way the dealer installed it. It works, but if I did it myself I would have used Dura-vent and an adapter on the stove collar going into a Simpson T.

Yes you need the Appliance Adapter.

Eric

Simpson duravent just came out with a tee that has the appliance adaptor built into it. That may make some installs easier. Its for dealers only though, you wont find it at Home Depot.

macman said:
chrisasst said:

Chris, you definitely need to install an appliance adapter. It converts the simple straight pipe that comes out of your stove into a matching rotating/locking pipe end that the matching pipe or T connects to.

This is the one I have for my Simpson Dura Vent:

www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=689

pete, if my memory serves me right I think you have 3" pipe, if so then this is the one you're using:
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=688

:)

BTW - I'm buying the "visible" pipe going up in the basement in black color, would you guys buy this appliance adapter and the tee in black as well even if those pieces are not visible unless you lean and look at the back of the stove, or buy in regular non-black to save a bit of money?

just want to make sure I got this...this picture shows my pipes, my stoves pipe ( 2 3/4") just slides into the silver exhaust pipe( double pipe, inside is 3"). I need to get a metal pipe adapter that will slide tightly over my stoves pipe, and slide tightly into the silver exhaust pipe thus making a tight fitting on both ends...correct? Or can I just get a clamp and tighten that down on it.

101_0978.gif

I see the need of the adapter.....

geek said:
BTW - I'm buying the "visible" pipe going up in the basement in black color, would you guys buy this appliance adapter and the tee in black as well even if those pieces are not visible unless you lean and look at the back of the stove, or buy in regular non-black to save a bit of money?

I bought ALL my pipe in plain Galvanized, pickled the outside surface, and sprayed with good quality satin stove/high heat paint.

Came out great, and no paint flaking or peeling....still looks new after a winter of burning 4 1/2 tons.

Attachments

• Stove install 3.JPG
    Stove install 3.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 811
chrisasst said:
just want to make sure I got this...this picture shows my pipes, my stoves pipe ( 2 3/4") just slides into the silver exhaust pipe( double pipe, inside is 3"). I need to get a metal pipe adapter that will slide tightly over my stoves pipe, and slide tightly into the silver exhaust pipe thus making a tight fitting on both ends...correct? Or can I just get a clamp and tighten that down on it....

The appliance adapter is slid over the exhaust pipe from the stove, and attached with 3 sheet metal screws (see the pic I attached above), then the pipe or T or whatever you use turns and locks onto that.

I see you didn't place any foil tape in the joint, did you use silicone at all or not?

Also, did you buy the paint in spray cans, how much was it and where you bought? Will check if the price difference is worth the time needed to paint

geek said:
I see you didn't place any foil tape in the joint, did you use silicone at all or not?

Also, did you buy the paint in spray cans, how much was it and where you bought? Will check if the price difference is worth the time needed to paint

The appliance adapter has a rope gasket at the bottom, so when you insert it onto the stove outlet, the exhaust pipe seals against that....I didn't use any silicone, and had no leaks that I know of. I slid the adapter onto the exhaust pipe, pressed firmly so I knew it was against the gasket, and held it in place while I drilled the first hole for the sheet metal screw.

Yep, used Rustoleum High Heat Ultra...don't remember the price, but I got it at WalMart. I bought 2 cans (that were selling with "25% extra FREE", so each can was 15oz. instead of the regular 12oz), and that was more than enough to do all my piping 2 coats, which was about 6' total of 4" DuraVent, a cleanout T, and the appliance adapter.....and I still have about 3/4 of the second can left over.

This is it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UE7MW4...VPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn

Don't forget to get white vinegar to pickle the pipe before spraying. A tech at Simpson told me on the phone that was all you need to do before spraying.

thanks pete, always helpful....... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.