Appliance adapter question ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonbaked

Feeling the Heat
Jul 27, 2008
New Hampshire
I have noticed that the adapter is a pretty loose fit.( 3" collar, pellet vet pro venting) I realize I have to use sealant on this connection. My question is have any of you used a hose clamp/ worm clamp on the connection to assure it stays put. I ask because it has what I would consider a lot of play. The adapter does have about 1/2" of the inner stainless steel liner exposed beyond the outer pipe and it looks like it's begging for a clamp of some sort. Thanks in advance.

bostonbaked said:
I have noticed that the adapter is a pretty loose fit.( 3" collar, pellet vet pro venting) I realize I have to use sealant on this connection. My question is have any of you used a hose clamp/ worm clamp on the connection to assure it stays put. I ask because it has what I would consider a lot of play. The adapter does have about 1/2" of the inner stainless steel liner exposed beyond the outer pipe and it looks like it's begging for a clamp of some sort. Thanks in advance.
The same thing as on the Englander we just vented. We drilled and installed 2 screws to secure it , then sealed it with HT silicone.
This pellet stove venting is about as crude as it gets IMO and I`d have to think the industry is begging for a better venting system than what`s available presently. And why isn`t the black finish standardized as with wood stove vent pipe?

Thanks for the response Gio, I was not too keen on drilling holes in the collar. I guess it's OK then to use anything that works as long as it's sealed well ? It seems that the so called adapter is the same as any piece of pipe, other than that extension of the inner liner sticking out.

bostonbaked said:
Thanks for the response Gio, I was not too keen on drilling holes in the collar. I guess it's OK then to use anything that works as long as it's sealed well ? It seems that the so called adapter is the same as any piece of pipe, other than that extension of the inner liner sticking out.

My experience is only with 3 different stoves and none had a really tight connector.
As long as it is secured and sealed in place the fact that a bit of single wall is exposed shouldn`t be a factor since it`s very close to the stove itself. I believe the main purpose of the double wall vent is specifically to maintain clearances and to help prevent burns to animals and people that might contact it.

the adapters for pellet vent are usually just a wee bit loose , some cases they fit snugly, i would think that with all the stoves out there there may be a slight difference in couplers which a slightly larger connector might be more universal. besides , a slip connector on a solid fueled heater is supposed to be secured by screws per code anyway. adding high temp sealer as well is suggested to make a gastight seal.

I think if you read Quad's instruction manual you'll find that a minimum of 3 screws and also silicone sealant are required on the appliance adapter.

Thanks all, I think I will use the screws. It makes good sense . I don't know how I missed that in the manual, must be getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.