Applied Ceramics and Condar cat's in a Jotul Firelight 12

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Botton line please, what cat is one to buy for a Jotul Firelight 12?

Reactions: danieltp and Ashful
Botton line please, what cat is one to buy for a Jotul Firelight 12?
Ask Jotul. Depending upon their observed peak temps during combustion testing, they should be able to direct you to the best option. If they tell you 2000+F, I would steer towards a Durafoil substrate. As far as combustors go, they have the highest temp ratings. As I recall the substrate can take 2100C (yes not F).

The thinner wall tolerances of the Durafoil allow for much faster light off than ceramics. Nearly 50% faster. On the downside, less mass also translates to less heat retention at the end of the burn cycle.

ACI has some Durafoil stock, just don't know if they have the size you need.

OK...got to go split wood, starting to get below 90!

There are new combustor equipped stoves coming to market and a few have already not observed the basic hazards identified over the past 20 years.
Feel free to list 'em. ;)
I have made over a dozen presentations to retailers in the past twelve months on how to look over (review) a combustor equipped stove and decide if known hazards have been taken into consideration.
I would be interested to hear or read some of that info...
On the downside, less mass also translates to less heat retention at the end of the burn cycle.
Doesn't seem that a cat would have that much mass to be a big issue, not like a chunk of soapstone, iron or something?
ACI has some Durafoil stock, just don't know if they have the size you need. OK...got to go split wood, starting to get below 90!
I guess a phone call would be in order; I would go for all Durafoil cats for my stoves if I could get 'em.
Don't remind me...I should be stacking some wood as well. >>

Last edited:
The knowledge base of users in this forum goes far beyond that remaining at Jotul today, with regard to their catalytic models. Most at Jotul seem to forget they ever made catalytic stoves at all.

The knowledge base of users in this forum goes far beyond that remaining at Jotul today, with regard to their catalytic models. Most at Jotul seem to forget they ever made catalytic stoves at all.
I wouldn't be able to make any observations on this but I can assure you every manufacturer is testing Combustor equipped stoves in their R&D.

Reactions: webby3650
Ask Jotul.
If only Jotul allowed their tech's to speak with customers. They have a policy that you MUST go thru a dealer, and very few dealers (actually none that I have ever encountered) know anything about catalyst issues with Firelight 12's.

This is why I admire BK, Englander, and Woodstock... you all appear to have excellent customer service. I like the Jotul stoves, but their customer service system is among the worst I have encountered.

Reactions: webby3650
Getting ready to order a replacement catalyst, re-read this thread...still not sure what to get...? F12.

Getting ready to order a replacement catalyst, re-read this thread...still not sure what to get...? F12.
The only cat I ever ran in my Firelights without nearly instant destruction was the original Corning Long Life cats. I tracked down two old ones in good shape, and that's what I was running in my stoves toward the end. I eventually decided there was only one solution to my headache: Blaze King.

Status
Not open for further replies.