Stove selection experiences (Lopi vs Jotul)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PandaPine

New member, but long time lurker.

I’m in the process of selecting a new stove to replace a 15yo Hearthstone Bennington. The stove has started to leak in a couple spots and I was unable to disassemble to replace gaskets. Love the looks and performance, but disappointed by the failure.

The stove heats our 30’x30’ detached garage/workshop. The structure was built in 2002 and is fully insulated. First floor is open with cent floor and the second floor is about 15’x30’; ceiling on the first floor is open. The Bennington to get the space warmed from ambient to comfortable (60’s) and hold it there happily.

I’ve been stove shopping at dealers and would like to stay local and use a dealer that I can easily access if anything comes up/needs attention. Not super happy with attitude of original dealer who sold me the Bennington so went to another that sells Lopi and Jotul.

Firstly, I’m torn between a steel or cast iron stove. After my experience with the Bennington I’m paranoid about a similar problem happening again; not rational perhaps, but in my head none-the-less. My thought was a fully welded box would be less likely to leak. My parents ran a Garrison model II for 30y and never had a problem other than replacing door gaskets.

I was looking at the Lopi Endeavor Hybrid and Evergreen to take advantage of the tax break, but am more concerned about the ability to heat the space, build quality, future serviceability (access to parts & ease of replacement). The sales person also suggested the Jotul F55 Carrabasset and F500 Oslo would be good options.

A second shop tried suggested a Hearthstone Manchester (is this a “fool me once” scenario?) and Osburn 3500.

Lots to unpack in my ask, but I would appreciate this communities real world experience with stove to help guide my decision. I don’t want my own irrational concerns, lack of knowledge in stove construction/design/manufacturers, or salesmanship at a specific shop to mislead me.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and adding datapoints to my decision.

I believe the tax credit only applies to your primary residence.
The F55 is reliable the F500 has had issues in the past. Lopi makes a good stove.

I will throw out the Drolet brand or True north as other options that are more value oriented for you to take a look at.
Get something you can load north/south.

The Bennington was a nice 3 cu ft stove. Hope it goes to someone willing to tackle the rebuild. The F55 has a lot more fuel capacity than the F500v3 and it's a simpler, steel stove at heart. Likewise, the Lopi Liberty is closer to the Bennington's capacity. It should also be a strong candidate as a serious, reliable heater.

Lopi is a solid stove with a proven track record. Their parts are more reasonable than others too. For instance, the replacement cost if the cat and is insulation is over $1000! I’d go with the Liberty or the endeavor. I’m currently heating my 30’x40’ x12 shop with a V3 Oslo. I can rarely ever restart a fire in the morning. It’s a big heater, really chews through the wood though.

Last edited:
Don't know if you purchased your stove yet, but just my personal experience with LOPI. In a million years, I would never purchase another LOPI again.
Go to their website and look around for CONTACT INFO. NONE!!
Download their manual,,,, Contact i.e. info phone NONE.
Had a couple of questions. Sent an email and received a much waited on response which took well over a week. THEIR response? Contact your dealer!
Had a hearthstone which I ran for 19 years. Oh, how I'd love to have it back. Still going. Heats our clubhouse now.

Don't know if you purchased your stove yet, but just my personal experience with LOPI. In a million years, I would never purchase another LOPI again.
Had a couple of questions. Sent an email and received a much waited on response which took well over a week. THEIR response? Contact your dealer!
Had a hearthstone which I ran for 19 years. Oh, how I'd love to have it back. Still going. Heats our clubhouse now.
Since you didn’t contact the dealer it’s a bad product? Everyone but Woodstock utilizes a dealer network.

That's pretty common with most brands of wood stoves. Why didn't you just contact the dealer in the first place? If you have a problem with your car do you call Ford/Chevy/Toyota? No, you call the dealer.

Reactions: webby3650
That's pretty common with most brands of wood stoves. Why didn't you just contact the dealer in the first place? If you have a problem with your car do you call
That's pretty common with most brands of wood stoves. Why didn't you just contact the dealer in the first place? If you have a problem with your car do you call Ford/Chevy/Toyota? No, you call the dealer.
Ford/Chevy/Toyota? No, you call the dealer.
Well, I'll tell you something. After 30+ years in this area, I have come to learn that most people in the trade are pretty much sub par. Yup, there is the “dealer” here. Fine showroom, smartly dressed sales people and knows everything that the computer tells him/her, but they aren't getting their hands dirty nor doing any grunt work. The fact of the matter is the “dealer” contracts out to installers, sweeps, mechanics delivery people etc etc. who the week before was cutting grass or blowing leaves for somebody. The guy that is working for him today probably won't be there next week, plus you will undoubtedly wait an extended period of time for very sub par service, if any. Ask me how I know after 30+ years. Now if that is something you are comfortable with, then by all means I say have at it and call the dealer.
Me, I want to be proactive and talk to somebody with a little more insight than some dealer raking in the cash and more concerned with his bottom line.
Oh, by the way, taking it to dealer with Toyota, Ford GMC is big business for them.

Im not disagreeing with you that the dealers suck, but it is what it is, the manufacturers don't want to talk to the customers. That's why they don't sell to the customers either. They only want to deal with the dealer. Look into SBI for some good stoves that will deal with the customer.

Actually I have called GM corporate. Then I sued them and got them to buy their car back under the lemon law. Called Toyota too to get them to make their new transmission work properly in a Tacoma. That didn't go to far so I did go to the dealer for that. Told them I wanted a decked out Tundra but they needed to buy my tacoma back first. Greedy suckers couldnt wait as soon as they cut the check I walked out the door and bought a 2003 Duramax LB7 still drive the truck today and love it.

There are lots of dealers that have full time career installers and sales people. I’ve been installing at the same place for 15 years, and I’m the new guy!

Lopi is not the same stove it once was. I have an Answer from the 90s, great stove. Bought another a few years ago, big mistake.

There are lots of dealers that have full time career installers and sales people. I’ve been installing at the same place for 15 years, and I’m the new guy!
Yeah but you're one in a million!

Yeah but you're one in a million!
Actually most dealers I know have atleast one pretty experienced tech on staff to deal with problems

Lopi is not the same stove it once was. I have an Answer from the 90s, great stove. Bought another a few years ago, big mistake.
They’ve done nothing but make improvements. Awesome stoves, always innovating their designs. Not sure what your problem was, it’s not common though.

I have run both the early Endeavor and a recent one. Both very fine stoves. The new Liberty looks nicely improved over the old one. FWIW, most folks are reporting pretty happy with the Answer as of 4 yrs ago.

I have run both the early Endeavor and a recent one. Both very fine stoves. The new Liberty looks nicely improved over the old one. FWIW, most folks are reporting pretty happy with the Answer as of 4 yrs ago.
We do a lot of Lopi. I can’t remember the last time I had to go back for anything but a chimney cleaning. I spend the rest of my time working on Hearthstones! 😂

We do a lot of Lopi. I can’t remember the last time I had to go back for anything but a chimney cleaning. I spend the rest of my time working on Hearthstones! 😂
How do you "work on" Hearthstones? replacing soapstone from slamming in wood? Seems like that would pretty much be a rebuild process. Just not much going on with a stove. It either heats well and is efficient doing it or its not. Not like you can fix that.

How do you "work on" Hearthstones? replacing soapstone from slamming in wood? Seems like that would pretty much be a rebuild process. Just not much going on with a stove. It either heats well and is efficient doing it or it’s not. Not like you can fix that.
Guess you aren’t familiar with modern stoves then. There’s a lot going on.

Reactions: Highbeam

I still run a 1999 Answer in my shop and I have a 2021 Liberty Nextgen. Identical quality as far as I have been able to tell, and I am very happy with the Liberty. On the different post about communicating with Travis, I agree that dealer is intended to be the first point of contact. That said, their phone number is clearly listed on the contact page and I have called Travis twice and received good info for questions the dealer could not answer (since buying the Liberty).

I had a Jotul F600 between 2008 and 2021 that I purchased new. It was a solid stove, but I did not have patience for a rebuild when then panels started to get leaky joints. It absolutely could have been made perfect again, but I gave it to someone who had the energy to do that. That is more a cast iron versus welded steel difference, and I otherwise quite liked that F600.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. Lopi is manufactured in Washington State by Travis Industries. I agree their website has some issues with respect to older units and newer units displaying properly on the site but I was able to download specs and manuals.
I searched Travis Industries and found the techline number. They answered the phone and answered all of my questions.
Travis Industries is a large company that designs many different types of heating appliances. They rely on their dealers to handle the questions and are their for dealer technical support like many stove companies.
I just purchased a Lopi Large Flush Hybrid. It's a beautiful, well made stove. I had two Hearthstones before. Very nice stoves also.

I have a Hearthstone GM 60 sitting waiting to be installed. I’m a hands on kinda guy. Any preventative maintenance or things I can keep watch on my stove to keep it running nicely? I’m hoping I didn’t make a mistake with the purchase of this stove.

How do you "work on" Hearthstones? replacing soapstone from slamming in wood? Seems like that would pretty much be a rebuild process. Just not much going on with a stove. It either heats well and is efficient doing it or its not. Not like you can fix that.

The certified noncat hearthstones heated well enough but were never very efficient compared to others. Lots of hinge and latch problems. Dainty hardware. Dang pretty stoves though.

Reactions: ozarkoak
The certified noncat hearthstones heated well enough but were never very efficient compared to others. Lots of hinge and latch problems. Dainty hardware. Dang pretty stoves though.
Now you got cats, cat gaskets, removable baffles, bypass, bypass gasket. Believe me, there’s plenty to work on…

Last edited: