1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Aquapex flow/pressure rates vs copper

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by btuser, Aug 14, 2010.

1. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    Just looking for verification. I'm re-routing the cold water lines that feed my indirect DHW and want to avoid losing any pressure. About 60' total line will be added. Original line is 3/4" copper, so should I upsize to 1" auquapex or would 3/4" be fine? If it was the crimp-style fittingings I would just do it but something tells me because of the expansion fittings I'd be fine with 3/4" and wouldn't gain anything with upsizing. Max flow is probably about 5gpm so its well within the limits for both 3/4" copper and aquapex.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    Well, let me post my own reply:

Copper vs Pex : Pex has about 75% the interior volume of the same size copper, so a 3/4" pex line will hold about 3/4 the volume of a 3/4" copper pipe. However, because of the lack of fittings with pex vs copper, the maximum speed/flow rate for pex is almost double that of copper pipe before you start to eat away at the inside of the piping. Copper is bigger but a lot of twists/turns even it out.
  3. BucksCoBernie

BucksCoBernie New Member

I swapped out all of my copper lines with pex and didnt notice a difference in pressure. The only difference is Im not down in the basement fixing a pinhole leak once a month! Well water and 60yr old copper pipes arent a good combo.