AquaTherm - Issues with new set-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SplittingLogs

Nov 20, 2015
Wisconsin
Hey guys, I have a new / old system. New piping / pumps / infrastructure. Old AquaTherm boiler. The guy I had install it has pretty much ghosted me (I get it ... it's a busy season) and isn't responding to texts to help me solve the issues that have popped up since he built the system. I'm eager to learn, but acknowledge I don't know much at this point. I'm hopeful one of you can talk me through this.

First things first, the boiler is doing an excellent job of heating the house. We keep the thermostat at 73 and haven't burned an ounce of propane since getting the system installed two weeks ago.

My two problems - which may be intertwined - are:

1) The boiler keeps overheating and releasing steam / water / antifreeze. I have no idea why. However, you can see in the picture that I've collected an entire five-gallon bucket of fluid already. It's my understanding that the AquaTherms don't have huge water capacity anyway, so that's a significant percentage of the water that it's blowing off. FWIW - The installer tapped in a nearby auxiliary hose that makes it convenient to add water to the system, so I've done that in an effort to keep the pump from blowing out ... but I'm sure I'm losing more than I'm adding (and I'm losing my investment in expensive antifreeze).

2) The in-floor heat worked great for the first couple of days and then quit working. I'm not sure if that's tied to a reduction in the amount of water in the system (problem #1), or if the pump crapped the bed in the first 48 hours of use. (The pump is a Badger Circulation Pump Type GPD15-6SFC.) Two things on this: 1 - The pump's pressure reading is consistently 4-5, and I'm given to understand that it should be 10. I haven't been able to get it to 10, even with adding water. 2 - The pipes on the output side of the pump are significantly cooler than the pipe running to the pump. The pump sounds like it's working, but I'm not sure.

Those are my issues that I'd love to solve. Thank you for reading to the end of this long thread. And please forgive my ignorance. I wish I knew more about how all of this works. I appreciate any guidance you all can offer!
Wood Boiler 2.jpg
Wood Boiler 1.jpg

Hey all, Just a follow up. I don't believe the issue with my system is related to #1. I do, however, believe I have an issue with #2. I'm leaving on a business trip but will be replacing the Badger pump when I get home. If anybody happens to have recommendations on a good replacement pump that will fit in my system (pictured), I'd be happy to listen. Thanks!

First, a schematic or picture of the entire system would be helpful. 2nd, if your boiler is blowing off the relief valve, it is making heat that has nowhere to go or you have an expansion tank issue.. Do you have any thermal storage? The floor tubing could be air bound. Did you try bleeding it? Does the system have any air separators? And why are you using antifreeze?

Do you have a heat exchanger or is the boiler and house emitters all one pressurized system? Are the seals on the blowers sealing completely when the unit is up to temp?